PDA

View Full Version : Question about Pickerel frogs

addicted
08-12-2007, 10:18 PM
I have two baby pickerel frogs(about under an inch)that i just set up in a woodland type tub with a large pool,i was wondering what i can offer as food.I know the adults take insects and such but i know these guys are too small for crickets and the like.

Any help would be great

Thanks
Jason.

Killer Dragons
08-13-2007, 12:30 AM
Jason, they will take small-medium crickets or earthworms. they will try and eat any insect that moves around them. Good Luck.

addicted
08-13-2007, 07:29 AM
Thanks Ed,I'll see what i can get them to eat tonight when i get home from work.

addicted
08-13-2007, 07:08 PM
They ate some small crickets that i dusted,Thanks!

Are these guys alright to keep at room temp?

ginevive
08-13-2007, 07:13 PM
I used to keep Pickerels, as well as Leopard frogs. The small ones will eat small crix, as you already found out. :) Size-appropriate earthworms are great; they slurp them up like spaghetti!
I see you are in MA. I would think that room temperature would be fine for now. If it is similar to what we have going on here in western NY (native pickerel habitat.) In cooler weather I would probably add some heating element unless your house is kept above 70 degrees.
I know that picks seem pretty rare out here. Leopard frogs are common, green frogs moreso. Were yours wild-caught or from a store? They are cool frogs :)

addicted
08-13-2007, 07:20 PM
I was out fishing with a friend yesterday and decided to walk through a bog to look for hatchling painteds and came across hundreds of these guys jumping along.I had to be carefull where i stepped or i would have killed a lot of them.So yup they are WC as of yesterday.I usually like to get Cbb animals but them being so young and abundant i figured i would go for it.