PDA

View Full Version : Burmation

Nyoka77
01-15-2008, 06:48 PM
So, my Western Hoggie, about 2 years old seems to be burmating on her own. She's been hiding under her water bowl for about a week. I tried taking her out to see if she wants to eat (It's been a little over a month) but she just goes right back under her bowl.
Should I leave her alone? Shes always been a bad eater and appears to be loosing weight, so I'm afraid to drop her temps.
Any suggestions?

Wilomn
01-15-2008, 07:56 PM
what are the temps now. How long since she last ate? How big is she and what was her last meal.

Can you post a pic of her?

Also, it's not burmation, but brumation.

Nyoka77
01-15-2008, 08:35 PM
ah, brumation. Sorry about that.
Shes a bit over a foot. She last ate the beginning of December, a live fuzzie.
I'll have to dig her out to get a picture.
The temp on the heat lamp side is about 90
cool side is about 80...sometimes less

Wilomn
01-15-2008, 11:39 PM
At a foot long she should be at least the size of your pinkie finger. If she is then letting her cool would not be a problem. Some of them just want to in spite of the lighting and heat we provide.

Dig her up and get a pic and it'll be easier to advise you. I've got a few of these and like them quite a bit. They are interesting little snakes.

99Vengeur
01-16-2008, 11:31 AM
My male is doing the same thing. He has not eaten since November. He is not losing weight, so I just let him be.

ladyserpent7
01-25-2008, 04:37 AM
mine did that the first winter i got her..she didnt eat for four months..but she never lost much weight..but its hasnt been a prob. since...but your hoggie does that a lot katie..cuz i was there for the first time..lol...but if she doesnt look emaciated i dont think its too big a problem..sometimes they just like to take hunger strikes :)

Nyoka77
02-20-2008, 11:41 AM
so my vet says I have to go to force feeding every two weeks.
I was thinking of a pinky liquidfier? Anyone have any experience with force feeding? I'll bring her to the vet to learn how to do this, but then i've got to learn on my own.
Just wondering opinions...maybe a syringe instead?
thanks
heres some pics.
I've had her for about 2 years, not sure how old she was when I got her, but she was much smaller.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b70/katie0773/DSCN2043.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b70/katie0773/DSCN2016.jpg

Wilomn
02-20-2008, 12:50 PM
If that picture is recent that snake does NOT need force feeding.

When the weather warms up and the days get longer it will most likely start eating on its own.

I've kept and bred hogs for a number of years and that one looks fine to me.

99Vengeur
02-20-2008, 05:17 PM
If that picture is recent that snake does NOT need force feeding.

When the weather warms up and the days get longer it will most likely start eating on its own.

I've kept and bred hogs for a number of years and that one looks fine to me.

I totally agree. That hog looks healthy from all outward appearances! Force feeding is a last resort effort to get a snake to eat that would die in the very near future. Not to mention that force feeding puts a tremendous amount of stress on and does unseen damage to a snake. Give it time to warm up and things should be fine.

Nyoka77
02-24-2008, 10:01 PM
Thanks for your advice.
She ate a fuzzie tonight!
I couldn't be happier!

ladyserpent7
02-25-2008, 04:51 AM
yah...i definitely agree...like i said..if the snake doesnt look emaciated...dont even bother it ...itll eat in due time :)

Razaiel
03-10-2008, 07:34 AM
Stupid vet!! Makes you wonder about some of them sometimes if they give out advice like that :rolleyes_ Glad she ate for you it would have been bad to force feed an obviously healthy snake.