PDA

View Full Version : giant Hognoses

MDC_Ophiuchus
02-03-2008, 04:16 PM
Leioheterodon madagascariensis - giant Malagasy hognose snake

Anyone here have experience with these guys? I used to own a pair, but had to give them up before I moved years ago. They were some awesome colubrids. Someday I'd like to get another pair and attempt a breeding project.

Here are some pics
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b400/MDC_Leviathan/Past%20Pets/checkers2.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b400/MDC_Leviathan/Past%20Pets/checkers1.jpg

jamay
02-03-2008, 06:24 PM
I don't think I was aware of these guys. They're monstrous!

MDC_Ophiuchus
02-03-2008, 11:01 PM
They're wicked awesome. If you like large colubrids and/or hognoses, you'll love these guys. They top out around 6 ft. Beautiful coloration. My photos don't do them justice.

bigdogg
02-04-2008, 12:16 AM
Friend of mine has a trio of the Giants and a pair of Speckleds. I thought I liked western Hognose and man oh man the Madagascar Species is WICKED. I have kept them numerous times. Never tried breeding them myself but hopefully this year or next we should have some CB Babies available of both the Giant and Speckled.

jamay
02-06-2008, 08:24 PM
So what's the difference between the giant and the speckled? Is the speckled just a morph of the same species or is it something else? Also, what kind of prices do they go for? I could be interested...

bigdogg
02-06-2008, 08:47 PM
well there is 3 different madagascar species.

LEIOHETERODON MADAGASCARIENSIS - Giant Hognose
LEIOHETERODON GEAYI - Speckled Hognose
LEIOHETERODON MODESTUS - Blonde Hognose

All are different in there own way. Giants of course are the biggest of them all. And I believe the blondes are the smallest. All awesome snakes. I am not sure what we will be pricing them at CBB. As you don't see them offered too much. But WC Sub adult to Adult specimens you can usually pick up for around the 80-120 dollar range a piece. Some being cheaper then others. But really cool species overall.

Difference between the giants and speckleds is mainly size. At Giants that get to 6ft+ and speckleds averaging out at 4ft. And they look totally different. Giants usually have a really dark tone black or dark brown coloration. The speckleds are usually light brown or tan.

Razaiel
02-14-2008, 08:19 AM
Awesome!!! Aren't they supposed to be more aggressive/venomous species of hoggie? Somebody was talking about them on another forum but there were no pics - that sure is one big hoggy :)

MDC_Ophiuchus
02-14-2008, 11:36 AM
Havent noticed anything about aggression, but they are mildy venomous. They really have to chew on ya to seriously en-venomate you though. A really nasty bite is probably comparable to a bad bee/wasp sting.

Razaiel
02-19-2008, 07:53 AM
Thanks for the info :thumbsup:

infernoinside
04-07-2008, 11:22 PM
Hi ,
Where can I get one?
Inferno

hum707
04-13-2008, 11:47 PM
Hi ,
Where can I get one?
Inferno
http://WWW.EXOTICSRUS.NET
These guys can get the giants, golden or speckled.