PDA

View Full Version : Infant Hognose Yet To Eat

Newbie88
12-17-2008, 09:06 AM
my western hognose is 8''
a female, and the breeder said she was readily taking pinkies
i did not see a feeding demo, but as it stands i think that he had not even started feeding them yet, though i really don't know...

my snake has a 10 gallon set-up with a warm side of 85 and a cool side of 75 to 72, plenty of water and hiding spots etc, aspen bedding, and an undertank heater.

she seems to like the enclosure, and is a very active, healthy looking snake, and for being an infant, has only hissed at me twice.

i got her Nov. 21 2008 and she has yet to eat at all.

some have said she may be hibernating or in a no-eat stage til the end of december, others have said that as infants they should have a healthy appetite and may just be a picky eater.

usually she is indifferent or hisses at the pinkie and flees

I have tried the following with no success:
live pinkies
thawed pinkies
over heating the pinkies so they turn a white-ish color
using a small shoe box
using a smaller box than a shoe box
a brown paper bag
leaving the pinkie overnight
leaving the pinkie during the day
split-brained pinkies
just the pinkie head
crickets
dead crickets

i dont have scenting as an option right now because i can't locate a toad or even a product to scent a pinkie, the t-rex lizard sent is discontinued

next i plan on trying scenting the pinkie with tuna juice
or even just a hard boiled egg for some protein

anyone have any helpful suggestions?

kshannon
12-17-2008, 02:10 PM
My male was like that as a hatchling, he stopped eating around october and didn't start again to the end of December. That was last year and so far this year he has only refused once and it was this week and I think he was stressed because he was away from his home for a long time while I cleaned it. Be patient and hopefully she will start eating for you.

One trick I did find that words the best is I heat up the f/t mouse and put it in his feeding container and put that in his home and then put him in it and close the lid, other wise he won't touch it if he is in it first and I put the mouse in it. I use a container that he can't easily see through also.

Good Luck!!!

ApexJake
12-18-2008, 11:27 PM
I have heard about day light issues. This time of year there is less day light and that triggers a hibernation and non feeding reaction. Possibly try giving it close to 12 hours of regular daylight from a small reading light. something to trick it to think its the normal summer time feeding cycle.
i have a non eater right now that is also a very young hog. I found that near the tail there is a small soft "blockage". Im not sure if its a inflamed organ or and actual back up but i would bet its the cause of my problem. something to maybe check (not to scare you) good luck!

John E Dove
12-19-2008, 08:20 AM
Try thawing/warming the pink in the water out of a can of water packed tuna.

DISCERN
12-20-2008, 04:30 PM
Everyone hear has some great advice!!!

My first thought is from another angle. Your hognose may not be used to its' new cage.

What I mean is, she probably was in a shoebox for her cage. After being purchased and put in a cage, which with what you have described sounds great, she may feel that she is in the " open " too much, so to say. In other words, that cage may seem intensely huge, and she may feel vulnerable. Or she may not. It is just something to consider.

She may have very well been a great eater being cared for by the breeder. It is just that, that I have always believed, some snakes take longer to get used to a newer home than others. They get used to the certain feel of the box or cage they were in, and then, sometimes, they are not used to the change in scenery, and then, out of stress, they don't eat.

I would put her in a smaller shoebox, pretend it will be her new home so make it up like you would be putting her there for a while, and then leave her alone for 3-5 days at least, then, feed her in her hidebox in the cage, leaving her well alone for the rest of that day.

If she then eats, I would keep her in that box for a year or so. Then, move her into her 10 gallon.

Also, have you left her in a deli cup or something similar overnight with a pinky? Are you leaving her alone with any of the ways you are trying to feed her, or are you there watching?

Great advice everyone!!

Keep us posted!!

Newbie88
01-28-2009, 09:22 PM
I tried leaving her in a shoe box for 3 days, tall enough that she couldn't get out and thought it was a new home... she's still as active as ever, burrows at night and comes out during the day, but shes still scared of the pinkie to the point where she smells it or crawls over it like its not even there...
i tried another live pinkie, the tuna juice, and split brain pinkie... and i have tried feeding her in a small box, about the size of a CD and she acts like the pinkie isn't even there.

i saw her drink some water 2 days ago, which i've never seen her do before, and i think she already pooped or w/e snakes do and i cleaned that up but she still seems to have no interest in food at all and yet is alert, not thinning out, and looks perfectly healthy...

i may be able to have a friend send a frozen toad to scent with but not sure yet.

ApexJake
01-28-2009, 10:09 PM
i have 13 hogs from 2 different lines. i had 3 picky eaters and just the other day i got 2 out of 3 to take down a live pink after i dipped it in tuna juice. and one even took 2. still having trouble with my third female.... but she was interested in the tuna more than anything else

DISCERN
01-28-2009, 10:25 PM
Some more thoughts......

First, I am glad to hear that she is not losing weight. Good thing to see!
It could have something to do with hibernation as others have suggested.

Keep her in the shoebox. Are you able to provide decent temps with putting her in the shoebox?

Also, are you trying to feed her at night or day or both? Try both options.

What about putting the pinkie inside the hidebox?

Are you watching her or are you leaving her completely alone when you feed her? If you have not done so, leave her completely alone once you put the food in her cage, and also, if so, are you turning out the lights? Turn out all lights when leaving. If there is a lot of light in the room, cover her cage to make it dark.

Do everything possible to reduce any amount of stress with her.

I have a pinesnake that now has decided she wants me to be out of the room when she eats, although the 2 years I have had her, she has been fine with me feeding her and then moving onto the next cage. Now, I have to feed her last and leave immediately.

Keep us posted!

TriangleReptiles
01-30-2009, 07:59 PM
If you can get your hands on a Mediterranean gecko for scenting, try that. I had 3 that were problems early on this last season. I caught a Med Gecko, and as froze it. After frozen, I thawed it out and chopped it up. I then stuck a pinkie in the "goo" and they all gobbled it up. Only had to scent a few times and now they eat 3X per week, no problem.

Newbie88
02-01-2009, 12:17 PM
:D she ate yesterday morning! had a pinkie dipped in tuna juice (attempt #3 with the juice) and right when my roommate said she was not going to eat she just started eating! I also had put black paper around the cage so that she didnt see me but she still only would eat in her cage..

when should i try feeding her again? some people say 3 days , 3-5, or a week?

TriangleReptiles
02-01-2009, 04:20 PM
I feed my baby hogs twice a week and keep their temp on the warm side of their tub around 90. That keeps them warm and active and hungry. My smallest 07 holdover female is now 180 grams. A great caresheet can by found on Justin Mitchams website http://extremehogs.com/caresheet

TriangleReptiles
02-01-2009, 04:22 PM
http://extremehogs.com/Caresheet.html

DISCERN
02-03-2009, 12:47 AM
Congratulations on your hog eating!!
Maybe give her some time, 5-7 days before the next feeding, and it sounds like the black paper around her cage possibly gave her a feeling of security, and that may have contributed to her eating.

Remember, just make her as stress free as possible.

Keep us posted!

Newbie88
03-11-2009, 09:42 PM
so just an update:
the snake has still been eating about 2 pinkies a week & shes already shed once too
she's also getting a lot fatter and yet when she eats she seems to have tons of energy still and isnt slow and digesting like it seems she should be, but i figure 2 pinkies a week is enough and 3 may be overfeeding

i saw a video of a hognose attacking a hardboiled egg cut in half and checked it out with other cites to see if eggs were a bad food or just some more protein

ended up trying the half egg in her cage and she full on attacked it like it was the tastiest thing in the world, so i give her a few pieces of boiled egg white after her pinkie which she seems to really like