PDA

View Full Version : Leftover Recipes!

spygirl
08-26-2009, 10:09 PM
I'm big on not wasting any food, so I'm always creating new ways to use them. So if you've got some creative ideas, let's hear them! Here are some of our faves...

Chicken Parmesan from leftover Spaghetti and chicken
We ALWAYS have leftover spaghetti. And whenever we have chicken, we tend to have leftovers as well. This works with any noodles, any type sauce, and really any kind of chicken. I've used grilled, baked, fried, and frozen chicken patties.

Heat up leftover sauce, noodles, and chicken. Place chicken in a greased pan and pour noodles and sauce on top. Top with your fave cheese. Parmesan, mozzarella, or feta are ones I've used that work well.

Chili
I usually make a large pot of chili in the winter. The recipe I use freezes well. We eat it by itself, on baked potatoes, or frito pie.

3 Tablespoons olive oil
 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
 8 large garlic cloves, chopped
 2 19 oz. cans red kidney beans
 2 19 oz. cans black beans
 1 envelope taco seasoning or 1/4 cup taco seasoning
 1 teaspoon dried basil
 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
 1 15oz can tomato sauce
 3 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
 1 6oz can tomato paste

*If you like meat in yours, stew meat works really well. I also think turkey would be a good option as too.*

Heat oil in heavy saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions and garlic. Saute about 8 minutes or until onions are translucent. Add beans, taco seasoning, basil, oregano, and thyme. Stir 2 minutes. Mix in tomato sauce, chicken broth and tomato paste. Simmer until thickened to desired consistency, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking, about 1 and a half hours. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Refrigerate until cold then reheat over low when ready to serve.

Meatloaf Sandwiches
Pretty self explanatory. Get some really good, thick bread. Top with your fave sandwich toppings. I usually make some "fancy mayo" for these. I take regular mayo and mix in it whatever herbs or seasonings I have on hand. Dill, basil, garlic, onion, paprika, and cayenne are usually good. Sauerkraut is really good on these too.

Monte Cristos
I tend to make a lot of these after the holidays when we have a ton of leftover turkey and ham. I use the Bennigan's recipe. The batter also keeps well in the fridge, so I can make a couple for dinner one night and for lunch the next day!

Ingredients
9 slices whole wheat bread
3 slices cooked turkey
3 slices cooked ham
3 slices American cheese
3 slices swiss cheese
BATTER
1 egg
1-1 1/4 cup water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
vegetable oil (for deep frying)
Directions
Place turkey and Swiss cheese on one slice of bread and ham and American cheese on another slice of bread.
Place third slice in-between and secure the triple-decker sandwich in the corners with tooth picks.
Place egg in mixing bowl, add water and beat together. Add salt, sugar, flour, and baking powder.
Beat batter until smooth.
Dip sandwich in batter and carefully cover all the sides and surface.
Carefully place in hot oil and fry until golden.
When sandwich has turned a warm gold color remove from hot oil and place on paper towel.
Let cool for a few minutes before removing the tooth picks.
Before serving slice into fourths and sprinkle with powder sugar.Serve with raspberry jam.

I'm sure I have some more, but those are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head. So let's share those great leftover recipes!