PDA

View Full Version : why can't hogs be kept together?

JSUN
09-02-2009, 06:21 AM
Hi,
I am new to the hobby and I have a 24" x24" x24". I am thinking about keeping a 2-3 female adults together in this tank. would that be a problem? they don't eat each other will they? I have never heard of hog eating another snake or cannabalize their own kind so i don't see why they can't be kept together.

TripleMoonsExotic
09-02-2009, 11:28 AM
Stress...Transmission of disease...If one regurges or has abnormal stool you can't identify which one...On and on...Their are plenty of good reasons why not to cohabitate, but not a single one for cohabitation that benefits the animal.

No matter what you do, you're going to need separate enclosures for each one for quarantine purposes (http://triplemoonsexotic.com/articles/miscellaneous-articles/quarantine-procedures/).

Tim Cole
09-02-2009, 11:34 AM
Snakes are opportunistic feeders. Which means it's not all that unusual for them to feed on one another even though they may not be a typical "snake eater' such as a kingsnake or indigo. I had a western hog eat a corn snake that was temporarily housed together while I was cleaning cages many years ago.

From a husbandry perspective alone, I would keep them separate.