PDA

View Full Version : baby's not eating!!!

JSUN
09-07-2009, 08:07 PM
so i bought a baby hognose at the anaheim reptiles show.
been trying to feed it f/t pinkie and it's not eating. any suggestion? room temperature is at 80 during the day.

DAND
09-07-2009, 08:11 PM
so i bought a baby hognose at the anaheim reptiles show.
been trying to feed it f/t pinkie and it's not eating. any suggestion? room temperature is at 80 during the day.

As in just got it today or yesterday? If so, I'd suggest giving it a little time to get acclimated before attempting feeding. Also, did you ask if it was eating f/t?

JSUN
09-07-2009, 08:17 PM
yes, got it two days ago. i was told that it feeds on f/t.

DAND
09-07-2009, 08:31 PM
yes, got it two days ago. i was told that it feeds on f/t.

I'd still suggest giving it a few days to get acclimated to it's new surroundings.

JSUN
09-07-2009, 08:36 PM
I'd still suggest giving it a few days to get acclimated to it's new surroundings.

ok, definitely will be doing that. i'll keep you posted. thanks for your help.

charleshanklin
09-07-2009, 11:43 PM
In the future remember, when you first gat an animal if it eats than geat. If it doesn't just be a little patient with them.

JSUN
09-10-2009, 07:05 AM
i got him to eat today by rubbing a guppy on the pinkie.

DAND
09-10-2009, 07:08 AM
i got him to eat today by rubbing a guppy on the pinkie.

Never heard of that before but hey, if it worked. I'd still try for the unscented items as I do not know if sushi is the best choice.

JSUN
09-10-2009, 07:16 AM
well, i was feeding guppies to my ringneck and thought about my hognose, so i went over to him and wave the guppy in his face and immediately got his attention. i put the pinkie in the bag and he didn't want it so i rub the guppy on it and he took it.

DAND
09-10-2009, 07:18 AM
well, i was feeding guppies to my ringneck and thought about my hognose, so i went over to him and wave the guppy in his face and immediately got his attention. i put the pinkie in the bag and he didn't want it so i rub the guppy on it and he took it.

Weird snake. ;)

charleshanklin
09-10-2009, 11:22 AM
I have no idea why fish scent works so well for these guys. I use tuna and salmon every now and again. I think it may have to do with them eating salamanders and other amphibians in the wild.

DAND
09-10-2009, 11:41 AM
I have no idea why fish scent works so well for these guys. I use tuna and salmon every now and again. I think it may have to do with them eating salamanders and other amphibians in the wild.

But salamanders and other amphibians aren't fish. :shrug01:

charleshanklin
09-10-2009, 01:50 PM
They are very oily like them. I was talking to a friend of mine about this. He collects tiger salamanders, water dogs etc. He told me everytime it rains they get out of the pond and I was thinking thats where the hognoses go and follow them for dinner. He also told how voracious the hogs eat them when they are offered. Maybe I'm over thinking again but for whatever reason oily fish seem to work very well for scenting.