PDA

View Full Version : Milksnake not eating

Payara
02-17-2010, 01:41 AM
I am getting a lil worried my milk snake hasn't eaten since Jan 29. He seems alert and body movements seem healthy but hasn't eaten yet. Is this normal? I have a UTH that maintains one side at 80 degrees F I also have a basking bulb that keeps at stable ambient temp during the day in the high 80s. I can't think of anything I am doing wrong. Feb 9th he had a clean shed. I feed him FT mice pinkies every 4-5 days before this fasting period and he's only refused one or 2 meals. If he doesn't eat by Thursday I was thinking of finding some live pinkies. Any recommendations or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

-George

BlindOne
02-17-2010, 02:05 AM
I'd personally have the lamp on one side of the cage so the snake can get cooler at any time it wants to. High 80's all day seems excessive to me. I also go with a once a week regiment with my neonates, trying to feed them more often can lead to stress. Give the snake a week without you bothering it at all and then try dead/live pinks. Good luck!

Payara
02-17-2010, 01:18 PM
Thanks Brent. The light is on the side with UTH. The cooler side is in the 70s/

BlindOne
02-17-2010, 01:34 PM
Thanks Brent. The light is on the side with UTH. The cooler side is in the 70s/

That sounds perfect, have you tried putting the snake in a deli cup with the dead pink and leaving him alone for a couple of hours?

Payara
02-17-2010, 06:06 PM
That sounds perfect, have you tried putting the snake in a deli cup with the dead pink and leaving him alone for a couple of hours?

No I have not done that yet. I'll try that. Thanks

bondoron
02-18-2010, 10:31 PM
How old and big is he? Why do you have a light and a uth? I would toss the lamp and set the uth at about 85.

BlindOne
02-25-2010, 11:47 PM
Hi, just following up, did the little guy eat for you?

Payara
02-26-2010, 05:36 PM
How old and big is he? Why do you have a light and a uth? I would toss the lamp and set the uth at about 85.

It's been really cool here and the lamp helps keep the ambient temp in proper range. He hatched in July or August of 09 and is over 2' long.

Hi, just following up, did the little guy eat for you?

Yes he did. He actually ate 2 pinkies. Thanks a lot Brent!

BlindOne
02-26-2010, 06:54 PM
Yes he did. He actually ate 2 pinkies. Thanks a lot Brent!

No problem, did you use the deli cup method?

Payara
02-26-2010, 11:34 PM
Yes sir, and placed 2 pinkies in after few hours they were gone and he was fat.