PDA

View Full Version : Best way to kill pinkie mice?

cmor1031
03-06-2010, 05:36 PM
Hi, like the title states, I wanted to know the best way to kill pinkie mice. I have 2 female mice producing pinkies for me and I wanted to freeze some for my snakes who eat pinkies. Is there a way other than a CO2 chamber to do this (I read somewhere that the CO2 chamber is unreliable for pinkies...dont know if thats true or not)? Any help or recommendations would be appreciated :yesnod:

elkmillbillyreptiles
03-06-2010, 05:45 PM
Just put them in the freezer. Thats what I do. Gas with co2 for the bigger stuff. Hope that helps.

BlindOne
03-06-2010, 08:04 PM
It sounds gruesome but i just throw them on the tile pretty hard to kill them instantly. Adult mice/rats, I swing by the tail into something hard to kill them. I wouldn't want to put live animals in the freezer, thats a bad way to go IMO

elkmillbillyreptiles
03-06-2010, 08:11 PM
Yes but its a pink. Who cares. but I gas everyone else. I don't like slamming them on the ground. Thats gross. But oh well. Have fun murdering.

BlindOne
03-06-2010, 08:23 PM
Yes but its a pink. Who cares. but I gas everyone else. I don't like slamming them on the ground. Thats gross. But oh well. Have fun murdering.

I don't like killing them, just doing what's necessary. Would you rather die instantly without pain or slowly freeze to death?

I admit I've never gassed anything, how expensive is it to set up?

elkmillbillyreptiles
03-06-2010, 08:27 PM
Paint ball store. Get a tank that hose thing and hook it up to a tub with lid. Fastest easiest way to die. That's how I do it. There pretty easy to make.

Kiote_9
03-06-2010, 08:49 PM
You could put them in a little sterlite with a piece of dry ice and close the lid or just put them in the freezer in a plastic baggie. They die VERY quickly in the freezer because their body mass is so little and they have no fur.

ddodge
03-14-2010, 11:55 AM
I'm with David. I use a co2 chamber for anything larger that a fuzzy. Reason being is that pinkies and fuzzies metabolise the gass verry slowly(probably from being burried under their litter mates and not getting much air anyway) and it's actually a terrible death for them. The cold kills them much faster.

cmor1031
03-14-2010, 04:54 PM
Yeah, I have just decided to throw them in a ziploc and put them in the freezer. It doesn't take long for them to die.

elkmillbillyreptiles
03-14-2010, 05:41 PM
Yup fastest way that young. Gas the older ones. Well have fun.

Rhasputin
07-27-2010, 09:17 AM
It only takes the pinkies a minute to go completely numb/unconcious in the freezer, and about 3-5 minutes to completely die. It's pretty painless, especially considering their nerves aren't even fully developed at that stage of life.

Freezer is the prefered method of people, who breed pet mice and show mice as well, so it's the most humane way to go. Gassing doesn't wory very well on pinkies, because they're just so small.

'Thumping' is extremely inhumane. It causes brain damage, and skull fractures, and very rarely "kills the animal instantly" but rather gives it severe brain damage, so that it's not really moving, only twitching.

JordanAng420
07-27-2010, 09:23 AM
It only takes the pinkies a minute to go completely numb/unconcious in the freezer, and about 3-5 minutes to completely die. It's pretty painless, especially considering their nerves aren't even fully developed at that stage of life.

Freezer is the prefered method of people, who breed pet mice and show mice as well, so it's the most humane way to go. Gassing doesn't wory very well on pinkies, because they're just so small.

'Thumping' is extremely inhumane. It causes brain damage, and skull fractures, and very rarely "kills the animal instantly" but rather gives it severe brain damage, so that it's not really moving, only twitching.

Well said! :thumbsup:

WingedWolf
07-27-2010, 03:42 PM
I'm not sure where folks get the idea that newborn ANYTHING doesn't have fully developed nerves, but there is really no evidence I am aware of to back it up. Smell and touch are the two senses that pinky mice rely on the most. Of course they are better developed when they are born.

Cervical dislocation can be used to kill pinkies. Place a pencil at the back of their neck, hold the body, and push down and forward sharply. Not too sharply--you don't want to actually remove their head.

'Thumping', done properly, does cause near-instantaneous death. The death is due to brain damage. The animal is rendered completely unconscious immediately. In most cases, any twitching or convulsions you see are due to residual nerve impulses, and are not a sign that the animal is still alive. They may also display agonal breathing, which is associated with death.
You are killing the animal so quickly that its body has to catch up to the death of its brain. It certainly isn't feeling anything.
This is why animals are killed by a stun bolt in a slaughterhouse. It is not expected that the animal will not convulse, or that its heart will stop instantly, when it is stunned--complete bodily death occurs when the animal is bled out. But it feels none of it.

AK907
07-29-2010, 12:39 AM
I like the smacking idea. Brutal, but quick. Pinks should be easy. A quick flick to the head would suffice. I hate doing it, but probably better than being thrown in the freezer alive.

Helenthereef
07-29-2010, 02:56 AM
Whatever is fastest is best IMO.
Smacking is fastest as long as you are confident and accurate, If you aren't, freezing may be better.

dzoo
07-29-2010, 09:30 AM
While Co2 does take a little longer, it will kill pinkies, I place the pinks in a plastic bag, on a papertowel, inflate the bag with co2 let it sit for a few minutes, you will see the pinks turn blue, then place the unopened bag in the freezer, seems to work fine. A long plastic bag like they sell tropical fish in is ideal if you can get some from your local pet store. I use the same method for fuzzies. Hopper mice and anything larger just the co2 in a rubbermaid container works fine. The co2 tank is the best thing ever compared to the old method of manually smacking them on the edge of a table! You can get a regulator from beveragefactory.com and a co2 bottle from anywhere that sell welding supplies.

Cervical dislocation can be used to kill pinkies. Place a pencil at the back of their neck, hold the body, and push down and forward sharply. Not too sharply--you don't want to actually remove their head.

I do not think the above method would work too well, pressing a pencil on a pinkie would squish it and pulling on its body would probably tear it apart! We're talking about a pinky mouse - small enough to sit on a dime!http://www.snakes4fun.com/images/frozen_pinkie_mouse.jpg

If you really want the final word on euthanasia read this:
www.avma.org/resources/euthanasia.pdf (http://www.avma.org/resources/euthanasia.pdf)