PDA

View Full Version : huge female boa, for adoption

brian355ny
03-12-2010, 03:36 AM
hi i have a 8.5ft 50lbs plus bci, she makes a noise when she breathes, i think it may be r.i. but i went to my herp vet and described what she was doing and he gave me amikicen{spelling might be wrong} but its an antibiotic injectable kind, and after a few weeks still no change, she still eats but never had a real big feeding response unless she's extremely hungry. i put a ft xxxxl rat or g pig in her cage at night and by morning its gone. a vendor at a reptile show said that kind of antibiotic was junk and it takes to long to work, i would like to see her go to someone that has had experience with snakes that had been sick and recoved. she is very tame i've had her ever since she was a tiny baby she is a virgin and in the right hands would continue to be a great pet or a good breeder, she is big and robust not small and weak. i live 35 miles west of pittsburgh,pa and can meet somewhere no shipping, can text pics if interested, thanks brian

ento890
03-17-2010, 09:00 PM
PM'd you

ento890
03-17-2010, 09:05 PM
actually disregard this PM, haha I thought you lived in NY, but your in WV.

Just a tip, I have healed a few respiratory infections with Tylan 50. It is an injectable, but quite strong. Just a recommendation

ashley

crotalusadamanteus
03-20-2010, 09:38 AM
For that size of a Boa, you would want to use the Tylan 200 if you elect to go with Tylosine as a medication. x.xx cc for the Tylan 200 vs xx.xx cc for the Tylan 50. (Based on a 50 lb Boa) Much less stressful for the animal to go with the stronger dosage.

Other things can cause raspy breathing though. Don't assume an RI is the cause without some other symptoms or proof via cultures.

Good luck.

brian355ny
03-20-2010, 11:45 PM
thanks guys i have some tylan 50 but was only giving her 1.5cc i guess i need to give her much than what i was giving her, my street adress is new york blvd thats why the ny is in my name. how often do i give her the tylan and when will i see results? thanks

crotalusadamanteus
03-21-2010, 07:07 AM
Improper dosages of antibiotics, or not completing the cycle can cause a whole lot more harm then good. You risk making any bad microbes resistant to the treatment, or making the treatment fail completely, and have to start over with a different treatment, prolonging the stress of the animal, which can also be a detriment. Some antibiotics need to be accompanied with extra fluids as well, or you risk possible renal problems.

Do your snake a favor and stop treatment immediately until you get a good solid weight on the animal, and the proper strength, type, and dosage of medication. You need a vet for that. They can swab her mouth and do a culture and sensitivity test to see if it's an RI, and if so, get you the most effective treatment.

Again, IF it's an RI. Like I said, other things can cause breathing noises. Retained nares from a shed, improper humidity levels, even a forced out breath from holding them and their weight pressing on their one good lung can all cause breathing noises.

Good luck. :thumbsup:

brian355ny
03-21-2010, 08:14 PM
i will call my vet tomorrow and make an appointment, is a culture something they send off to a lab? or will the vet tell me whats wrong that day? i have not seen any mucus or bubbles. i'll let you know what the vet says. thanks

crotalusadamanteus
03-21-2010, 09:28 PM
No, they will swab a petri dish and incubate it to see if bacteria form. This is a culture. Then they'll see what meds work best on that particular bacteria. That's the sensitivity part of it.

Mention to the vet what you were giving, how much and how often. Tylosine is a good medication, and they might just have you change the dosage and frequency.

I XX'd out my numbers that I posted earlier. Been so long since I played with formulary, I'm not so confident they were correct. Besides, I'm not a vet or even a tech, I've just managed to rehab some herps in my life and learn a few things.

Best of luck to you.