PDA

View Full Version : rodent sipper?????

Bob O'Brien
11-01-2010, 10:45 PM
I know this is the ball forum but, I recently purchased two used ARS rat racks and Im having a lot of trouble with the sippers dripping constantly :angry:. I rinsed the lines with bleach water before I used them but a lot of them have been dripping lately, does anyone know of a good way to clean the sippers so they STOP dripping. I have only been using them for a few weeks and it seems to be getting worse.

Thanks in advance,

Subdriven
11-01-2010, 10:47 PM
Heard alot about the seals on those things going bad.. but like I said.. "heard"

jason79
11-01-2010, 10:54 PM
Are they the vari flo sippers or the regular ones? if they are the vari flo take them apart clean them with just regular water and put them back together then tighten them up until they give you the amount of flow you want. You can try just tightening them up but I would clean them first.

Bob O'Brien
11-01-2010, 11:14 PM
Thanks Jason, I never knew they came apart. If this works I owe you big time these things have been giving me such a headache.

jason79
11-01-2010, 11:46 PM
I get the occasional leak and sometimes the get plugged up but all I have ever had to do is take them apart clean them in the sink and put them back together and they work fine again.

Clay Davenport
11-02-2010, 01:16 AM
If the rack was not in use for an extended period before you purchased it it's possible the seals in the valves may have dried out and cracked too.
I've never bothered to rebuild one, but all the individual parts are available to do so.

In my experience I've had significantly more leakage issues with the vari flo valves than the standard valves. After about a year or two of use I find I'm having to tighten the vari flo valves a little tighter every so often until it becomes difficult for the rodents to get water from them.
I gradually switched everything out to the standard valves and very rarely have any dripping anymore.