PDA

View Full Version : Rabbit cages

Lucille
05-20-2011, 12:52 PM
So it takes me about 4 hours to realize that rabbits should not be raised indoors. I got 4 yesterday and several managed to pee through their cage bars onto my floor :eek:

I go to the feed store and look over the cages and they are small and expensive. It dawns on me that I am about to acquire a new skill: rabbit cage building.

I just got back from American Fence with rolls of wire and stuff. An adventure begins......:)

Southern Wolf
05-20-2011, 06:01 PM
Just slide some kitty litter pans under their cage. Chances are the rabbits will go in the same corner. Problem solved.

Lucille
05-20-2011, 06:32 PM
I've already started making the cages, and they will be nestled beside the porch, shaded by grapevines.
There was a salesman at the fence company who offered advice on which tools to purchase, and using the right ones seems to make all the difference.

Southern Wolf
05-20-2011, 07:29 PM
Some reading materials for ya

http://www.countrysidemag.com/issues/95/95-3/reflections_of_a_rabbit_raiser.html

Lucille
05-20-2011, 07:43 PM
Thanks!! Lots of interesting stuff. I've heard of those Flemish Giants, that's a big rabbit.

Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
05-21-2011, 09:49 AM
Love to see pics of your progress and finished product. I don't plan to keep rabbits, but I've got an idea of using cages like rabbit hutches to encourage hens to go broody and use them as incubators for peafowl eggs. So I'm always wanting to see everyone's ideas please!

Lucille
05-22-2011, 05:07 PM
Will post a pic but the rabbits are now indoors. Will try a plastic lined frame aroun d the cages (of course placed where they can't nibble). The heat was getting to them, but also the dogs were whining loudly and non stop, and I didn't want the neighbors to complain. Most of my neighbors are easygoing but one woman actually set up a video camera to find out which of the neighborhood cats were jumping on her car and leaving pawprints :rolleyes_

Lucille
06-13-2011, 03:53 PM
Love to see pics of your progress and finished product. I don't plan to keep rabbits, but I've got an idea of using cages like rabbit hutches to encourage hens to go broody and use them as incubators for peafowl eggs. So I'm always wanting to see everyone's ideas please!

Here is a picture of one of the rabbit cages I made. You will notice that the litter pan is attached by links to the cage, all of the bunnies seem to like to move their litter pans around and one tries to flip and dump his. The litter pans are making cleanup much easier as the under cage litter only has to be changed out every week but the litter pans which are smaller and lighter I change every other day.

Shadera
10-20-2012, 01:06 PM
Still keeping rabbits? I was searching the other day for ideas for indoor housing, and came across this thread. I'd much rather keep my guys outdoors in the barn, but not knowing what predators frequent my area yet, I'm keeping them in the garage for the winter. Wanted to leave this here for anyone else that might be searching for some ideas. Regular cage stacks are expensive, and even with urine guards they fire outside the cages anyways, which makes for some disgusting puddles around the cage stack legs.

I recently built slantboards for hanging cages, and am having some success with it. I painted them with two coats of latex paint, and caulked gaps in the boards that funnel waste to the waste pans. Slant boards are 1' bigger than the cages on all sides, to catch any overshooting. Frame is cheapo 2x2" furring strips I had lying around. The bunnies are happy, and I don't have to dump litter pans any more. I just empty pans into my garden cart when they get full, and when I have a cart load, I haul it to my compost pile to dump.

Picture - one of my florida white bucks in a 24x24 cage over a slantboard. Works great!

cajunreptiles
10-28-2012, 11:35 AM
I use to have rabbits just sold 2 weeks ago. I had them outside at first when i had just one. Then i got attacked buy a cougar and a pack of coyotes. so i put the one inside and had no problem. then when i decided when i was at the auction to get another doe and a buck to breed i realized its a bad idea to keep them inside lol. they would pee and poop all over the place even with the trays it was getting everywhere and i would spend more time cleaning up after them it was not worth it. i love rabbits they are interesting buy never putting inside again and cant have anything outside as of now due to TOOOO many predators.

Lucille
10-28-2012, 11:49 AM
That's a nice cage Shadera. My bunnies went to a nice home in the country, could not keep them indoors due to the peeing problem, and their large cages outdoors were too heavy to keep clean the way I wanted.

Shadera
10-28-2012, 01:41 PM
That's a nice cage Shadera. My bunnies went to a nice home in the country, could not keep them indoors due to the peeing problem, and their large cages outdoors were too heavy to keep clean the way I wanted.

Aww. Sorry to hear that, Lucille. :( I was hoping you still had them.

One of my does gifted me with 6 cute little popples yesterday morning. From here, they just get cuter every day. Still won't make it tough to eat them, though. :D