PDA

View Full Version : Coconut Shrimp with Sweet and Sour Sauce

RobNJ
12-29-2011, 05:53 PM
Here's a fairly easy one that always goes over well at gatherings. I just wrote this one up based on a 12-18 person gathering with multiple appetizers/hor d'ouvres...

For shrimp preparation

36 shrimp, peeled and deveined- I would recommend using sizes 16/20 or 21/25
1 cup panko bread crumbs
1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1 cup or so of rice flour(if not available AP flour is fine)
club soda

Start off by butterflying the shrimp- using a paring knife, cut down the back of the shrimp to the tail without cutting through it. The shrimp should be able to be opened up and almost lie flat.

Mix the panko breadcrumbs and shredded coconut. Season with salt.

Put flour into a mixing bowl(set a little aside) and add club soda and mix until the consistency is so that it will stick to the shrimp, but will slide off rather than hanging on the shrimp in a massive, huge glob.

Now, coat the shrimp(completely, minus the tail, but lightly) with the flour you set aside. Proceed to coat the shrimp with the flour/club soda batter, and finally coat it with the coconut/panko mixture. Lay out separately so the breading does not get soggy.

This can be cooked in a cast iron pan or frying pan with 1/4-1/2 inch of oil until the shrimp is uniformly golden brown. Remember not to overcrowd pan, as that will drop oil temperature significantly and you'll end up with overly greasy shrimp. Should only take a minute to a minute and a half on each side. If you happen to have a deep fryer at home, set that baby to 350 and cook the shrimp for 2-3 minutes.

For Sweet and Sour Sauce

3/4-1 cup of rice wine vinegar
3/4-1 cup of apricot preserves

Combine the vinegar and preserves in a small pot/pan over medium heat, bring to a simmer, and serve.

***White vinegar or cider vinegar may be used as well, but ratios will be different based upon what type of vinegar is used***

ALL AMOUNTS/MEASUREMENTS MAY VARY A LITTLE, AND MAY NEED MINOR ADJUSTMENTS ON THE FLY, AS WRITING RECIPES IN SMALLER QUANTITIES IS NOT MY STRENGTH.