PDA

View Full Version : Now THIS is a sun spot!

WebSlave
03-14-2012, 03:21 AM
jE4etk3U8gs

Here's a direct link to the Solat Dynamics Observatory. Not sure how long the images stay current, but click on the links that say "48 hr MPEG" for image AIA 193.

http://sdo.gsfc.nasa.gov/data/

Pretty odd looking.... :shrug01:

snowgyre
03-14-2012, 04:29 PM
I think it's awesome! Especially considering the solar storm Earth experienced because of it. There were extremely bright auroras around the world. It's nice that the sun has FINALLY decided to wake up after nearly 15 years of very little activity. Makes for a boring scene when all SOHO photographs is a blank sun!

As for the triangle, I think it's an interesting combination of temperatures and magnetics. It's probably a factor that the old sunspot cycle has ended. Sunspots in the old cycle appear closer to the poles, while those of new cycles appear close to the equator. The closer the dots are, the more likely unusual patterns like this will appear because of more interference. Now, I'm not an astrophysicist by any stretch of the word, but I do try to keep up with current solar and astral happenings. In fact, if you want to see a really pretty sight, Venus and Jupiter are less than a knuckle's breadth apart at dusk. Fantastic!

crotalusadamanteus
03-14-2012, 06:01 PM
Sun spots I've seen were always closer to the equatorial region, rather then the poles, but always north and south of the equatorial region. Using our Survey instruments (during solar is our GPS goes to crap sometimes) we can add a filter to the lens, and actually see them. Or without a filter, and instrumentation turned off, we can point at it, and place a piece of paper near the eye piece, and actually see the dark spots on the paper, as well as the outline of the sun.

Never seen anything quite that big though.

Scary in a way. If you understand just exactly what that fire ball is capable of doing to our planet should it become unstable. Aurora's are neat things, but coming from something as large as that spot appears to be, I'd opt for scary over neat. LOL