PDA

View Full Version : how big is your snake?

David W.
09-16-2004, 03:11 PM
how long is your kingsnake? most of the records are from old field guides, with food available year round & no hibernation if your not mating somewhere out there must be a big snake.

vscampbell
09-16-2004, 04:57 PM
I'm not sure I understand what you're asking, are you taking a poll to compare the size that snakes grow in captivity compared to the sizes posted in Field Guides? Interesting question, I see advertised sizes that exceed those generally listed for given species. I particularly like the photos that show the handler holding the snake waaaaay out in front of them so the beast looks about ten feet long. Of course, snake owners are second only to fishermen in their inability to measure accurately, but still, I believe that it is possible with todays husbandry techniques to exceed the parameters listed in the field guides.

Val Campbell

Alias47
09-17-2004, 12:56 PM
All my kingsnakes are yearling or smaller.

I have personally held and helped measure a Desert Cali King at 55"

I have seen pictures of another Desert Cali King from a very reliable source that is in excess of 5 foot (biggest Cali I have ever seen)

If you want to measure your snakes and you have a digital camera, go to:
http://serpwidgets.com/Apps/apps.html

download the snake measurer program.
I have used it and several others I know have as well. It is BY FAR the easiest and most accurate way to measure any snake.