Kevin McRae
12-26-2004, 02:11 AM
here are my 4 cali kings

Sasheena
12-26-2004, 12:04 PM
They are very beautiful!

Kevin McRae
12-26-2004, 03:02 PM
Thanks 2 top two are desert pahses and the one on the bottom left is a stiped albino then the bottom right is a high-yellow :D

AcesKings
12-26-2004, 09:44 PM
Very nice Cali's!!
May I ask a question? Your high yellow looks nearly identical to mine. Mine is a bit of a runt at 37.5" at over 4 years old. I've talked to others who have similarly patterned Cali's, and theirs are on the small side too (both have 3 year olds at 36") Does yours fall into this pattern?

Sasheena
12-26-2004, 09:51 PM
One thing I've found is that certain locales of wild cal kings are more or less rapidly growing.... my first three cal kings included one female and two males. The males grew at a fairly fast rate, but the female grew like crazy! She was well over 36" at 18 months when she laid her first clutch! She's an '01, has had a second clutch, and is now nearly 55" long! The males are still only barely over 3 feet in length. I bought a couple of banana cal kings (the source of high yellow kings) and was very disappointed in their size when I received them, and in how long it took them to mature. Unlike my Newport Cal King female, they were barely 28" by the time they got to 18 months.. no breeding for them! This year they're just within range, and I brought them out of brumation early so I could fatten em up. I think a lot depends on their original genetics/locale. Some of my Newport girl's eggs rival very large chicken eggs, and some of her hatchlings have been up to 15 inches straight out of the egg.

AcesKings
12-26-2004, 10:03 PM
I have 2 other Cali's too. One is a Striped Desert and a July '03 hatchling and over 33". The other is a "late" (all I was told) '03 Albino Snow, and is a bit over 2 ft. So, I realize there are certain growth rates attributed to certain phase patterns. Just trying to break down which ones get how long ;). So, far it seems the high yellows and Banana's are typically on the smaller end, and many of the Desert banded and Striped phases tend more to the larger size. How does everyone else's measure up when phases, morphs or locality are taken into account?

Sasheena
12-26-2004, 10:37 PM
Well here are my cal kings:

Queenie - '01 female Newport Cal King (coastal) - 55"
Bishop - '01 High White - 47"
Jester - '01 Desert Phase Aberrant - 41"
Tigris - '02 Banana Aberrant - 38"
Euphrates - '02 Banana Aberrant - 40"
Chocolate - '01 Hypo chocolate/banana banded - 40"
Licorice - ?? Desert Banded - 55" (my guess is she's '98, but she's WC so hard to know)
Pegasus - '02 Banana Aberrant Albino - 37"

You can see pictures of all of these in the new photo gallery!

Kevin McRae
12-27-2004, 12:18 AM
The high-yellow si 1.5 years old and is aroudn 3.5 feet long :D

AcesKings
12-27-2004, 06:01 PM
Well, there goes that theory! LOL

Mine are:
Bones- '00 male Banana Cali King- 37.5"
Bandit- '03 Striped Desert- 33.25"
Satin- '03 Albino Snow (nitida)- 25.6"

I had another snow, but she died from what the vet said was a strep infection.
She was an '00 Albino Snow (conjuncta) and was 42" when she passed last year. :(

Sasheena: I absolutely love Bishop! Beautiful Cali!!!!

Sasheena
12-27-2004, 08:09 PM
Thank you! I got Bishop from Kerby Ross Lonesome Valley Reptiles (http://www.lonesomevalleyreptiles.com) he produces a lot of snakes like him every year! Very gorgeous snakes and one of the most honest breeders you will EVER come by! My albino cal king, Newport Cal King, and Aberrant male Cal King plus my Pyros all came from him. Of course the Pyro was a give-a-way as per AZ law.