PDA

View Full Version : best way to ship?

reptilebaby
04-05-2005, 08:32 PM
My husband wants to breed his corns when they are adults, and I want to start with small lizards like leopards and cresties.

So my question(omg I am SO obviously new at this!! lol) what is the best and safest way to pack young corns and lizards for shipping is. What carrier is the best?
I received my female high yellow in a way I did not think was too safe, but since I know absolutely NOTHING about shipping I don't know if it was bad or not. First off. the guy sent her USPS, in a styrofoam cooler wrapped in tape, Inside the cooler, the gecko was in a small plastic container with a moist paper towel, and the container was bubble wrapped. this was then placed in newspapers inside the cooler. there was a heat pack taped to the bottom of the plastic container which was cold by the time she arrived which was 3 days after being mailed. So needless to say she was cold to the touch, but alive.
Like I said, since I do not know what a safe way to ship is I cannot condemn the individual who sent her to me this way. He was really a very nice guy and concerned about my girl.

DAND
04-05-2005, 08:39 PM
You would be best off getting FedEx certified. If you do a search (or look in the shipping forum) there is a thread I believe was started by Brian Oakley (sp?) about how to become certified.

reptilebaby
04-05-2005, 08:58 PM
Ok, thanks!! I just really want to make sure any babies shipped are safe. :)
What would the safest way to pack them be?

DAND
04-05-2005, 09:34 PM
Ok, thanks!! I just really want to make sure any babies shipped are safe. :)
What would the safest way to pack them be?

In a deli cup with bedding (aspen, moss, shredded paper, or paper towel) Then pack the cup(s) in the box with shredded paper or packing pop corn (the styrofoam kind not the eating kind LOL)

Tripple H Herps
04-05-2005, 10:42 PM
Also remember, if you are shipping where it is cold, to use a heat pack. I only use the UniHeat 40hr type. Only ship via overnight (I use priority overnight usually). The heat pack should be taped to the top of the box with the red line facing you. Or you can place it in the corner of the box. You might need two heat packs if the destination is really cold, or depending on the size of the box.
-Jim

reptilebaby
04-05-2005, 11:40 PM
Thank you SOOO much! I appreciate the quick responses. :)

Just to mention, my husband and I have talked about it and we will NOT ship when it is cold out-figure it would be safer for the animals to not do that. I don't even like taking my non scaly pets out in cold weather! lol