PDA

View Full Version : Packing of snakes

rbichlerbob
07-30-2005, 02:03 AM
How do you package snakes this time of year ? Do you use a ice pack ? And if so, how would you pack it in the box. ( lets assume it 100 degree weather :hot: )

Thanks, Robert Bichler

shrap
07-30-2005, 02:07 AM
Personally.... I would not ship at all when the temps are above 90 or so.

hhmoore
07-30-2005, 03:47 AM
I'll second that one - even with insulated boxes, there is considerable risk of overheating. I wouldn't use "ice packs" regardless...get some "cold packs". If you have to ship, the packing method will depend on temperature, size of box, and species and size of animal being sent.

rbichlerbob
07-30-2005, 10:34 AM
So, will try to ship when the weather is 90 or less across the U.S., I"ll be shipping mostly colubrids,(young hatchling)(Az. Kings, Thayeri, and Cal Kings.) would it be right to assume, that between 80 and 90 degrees, to use foam insulated box with cold pack as needed, or no cold pack,

Thanks, rbichler

KathyLove
07-31-2005, 12:44 PM
When it is going to be hot at the destination city, try to do whatever you can to get the customer to pick up the box IN THE MORNING at the FedEx (or UPS or DHL or whatever) office, instead of taking home / business delivery. Most of the mistakes are made by the delivery driver rather than earlier in the shipping process, and can be avoided by not using the delivery driver.

I drop off my shipments at the end of the day at FedEx or DHL, putting the cold packs in at the last minute (they will be thawed and pretty useless by the time it gets really hot the next day anyway), and then insist the customers pick them up if they don't have 10:30 am delivery available and it will be hot. Even if they do have 10:30 am service (you can check online to see if they do), keep in mind that drivers have been known to be late, deliver to the wrong address, say they attempted delivery when they didn't, or really do attempt delivery, but the customer either isn't home or is in the back of the house and didn't hear them. That is why I try to convince them to pick it up even if they do have 10:30 delivery available. It is safer for the animals, and cheaper if you use companies that charge extra for residential delivery (if available), for signatures, for rural addresses, and whatever other nickel and dime things they can think of.