PDA

View Full Version : what do i do!

ilovesnakes
09-04-2005, 07:19 PM
i have got hacthling southern toads and are now pretty large tadpoles.but i would like to know what should i house them in and what things i need for them when they grow all 4 legs, and how long is it till, they grow there first legs?i also have a few more questions, what do they eat i've had 3 in the past and they mostly fed on small green and white tree hoppers but i don' got em, any more. one guy is so large that he makes the others look like sugar ants lol.please reply back thanx

Junkyard
09-04-2005, 11:05 PM
I cannot account for southern toad, I have had bullfrog tadpoles. As tadpoles, I have fed them the algae sinkers, little tablets that sink to the bottom of tanks. The tadpoles would go crazy everytime I dropped them in everyday. With bullfrog tadpoles they would take a year before they started to develop their legs. Once that happened about 6 months later they were jumping all over the place with little fish tails(it was amusing). Once you start to see legs appear make sure they will have a rock they can climb onto. Until their lungs are fully developed they will test the rocks for only a moment then jump back in. I housed tadpoles in a 10 gallon tank for a long time even after they were fully developed frogs. As tadpoles make sure you use a filter, the flowing water is needed for cleaning the water and replenishing oxygen.

ilovesnakes
09-04-2005, 11:44 PM
tanx dude i will take your advice i will not keep all them though but i think that is good if you know what i mean.but i will probaly make a rock for them when they get there legs i will tell u how they do.

thanx,rusty

Junkyard
09-05-2005, 12:52 AM
Great, they are so much fun to watch develop. I had one little guy that grew both legs and one arm popped out. The other was still in the body for a couple of days, he was swimming around with three limbs. I have a picture on my phone, I can see his little fingers beneath his skin. It is so funny. Have they started to develop their toes yet? They almost look like claspers on a male shark until their knees start to show.

ilovesnakes
09-05-2005, 10:55 AM
lol that had to be funny.but they are right now newborns so i don't think they will develop there legs till, they get a little older but,the big guy looks like he is much older, he is most likely going to get them earlier because you can tell that he will be the biggest of all but thanks for the great advice in your first post and thanx for the great info it really help alot and like i said i will tell you how they do in the future.

thanx,rusty