PDA

View Full Version : can two hognose be kept together?

smurf14
11-21-2005, 11:02 PM
I have two small hognose snakes, one 8-10 inches and the other 13-15 inches. can i keep them together, or will one eat the other? any help would be appreciated.

Karen Hulvey
11-21-2005, 11:28 PM
I don't believe hognose snakes are snake eaters but you never know what one animal will do to another animal when they're both confined to a small space. In the wild if something were to happen and one animal was aggressive towards the other one the one being attacked would have a chance to get away. But in a cage they don't stand a chance. I have a picture somewhere where a BCI ate a ball python that was almost as big as it! Both animals ended up dying. It's just not worth it to keep them together.

It's always better to err on the side of caution and give each animal their own enclosure. That way if one animal upchucks a mouse or has diarrhea you will know 100% for sure which animal has the problem. If they're kept together, you will not know which one has the problem and since they're together you will have to have both of them checked out therefore doubling your vet bill.

You don't have to have elaborate enclosures for your animals. You can use Rubbermaid or Sterilite containers to keep them in.

starwarsdad
11-22-2005, 09:39 AM
Karen said it well. Our goal as keepers should be the animal's well-being. If you start doing things for the sake of your own convenience or budget, you probably are not serving the animal's welfare.....

Colchicine
11-22-2005, 07:35 PM
Great replies, and I agree. Except that hognoses are definitely ophiophagus. On another forum, I remember one person that reported a larger female eating the smaller male after cohabitating for 2yrs. In addition, there is no reason to keep them together, especially considering the risks.

ladyserpent7
12-14-2005, 03:46 AM
also,,its been known theres been some cannibalism in baby hognoses as well.