PDA

View Full Version : My hog is not eating

longman
12-19-2005, 06:42 AM
Hi Guys

Have read quite a few different caresheets on Hog noses, I have a hatchling western who is about 5-6", got him 2 weeks ago and he still has not eaten. I keep him at 85f using an heatmat and Habistat. He is kept in a hatchling box about 10" x 6" with 2 hides and a water dish.

Have tried him on pinkies for the last couple of weeks and he has hissed at them and struck them but hasn't eaten them, how long would you advise me to wait before i should worry.

Have quite a few other snakes ranging from rosy boas through to reticulated pythons, so this isn't my first snake, but have never had a small snake like the hog nose before. please help

hhmoore
12-19-2005, 09:45 AM
what was it eating before you bought it?

longman
12-19-2005, 09:51 AM
Hi there i was told he was eating pinkies though the first feed they used amphib scent

Junkyard
12-19-2005, 01:09 PM
Seems like your Hog has not completely switched over to rodents yet. You can scent the pinks with amphibian scent or lizard scent. T Rex has products out called the Lizard Maker, it is a lizard scent that is placed on the rodent to mask the rodent smell with a lizard smell. You can also get a frog or lizard and rub it on the pinkies.

longman
12-20-2005, 05:04 AM
Hi Guys just to let you know, i left a pinky in hie box for a few hours last night and when i got back it was gone, either and modern day mirical and the mouse got up and escaped, or pehaps my hog ate it.

He has also be given his name today, from now on he will be called Chacopa