PDA

View Full Version : Taming a vicious Hognose

TheKingOfPrague
02-07-2006, 06:28 PM
Well, not really, but i wanted this thread to get some attention. Anyways, i handle my young hognose 5 minutes a day. Everytime i reach in to pick her up, she moves away and hisses and bluff strikes. This doesn't bother me, but i was just curious if they grow out of this behavior when they become full grown adults.

I think its strange that i see juvenile hognose snakes at shows, pet stores, and photos online. Yet i've only seen one full grown adult in person. Where are all the full grown snakes? Does anyone have any? And if you do, could you tell me if they still hiss and strike when they get to be adults?

Karen Hulvey
02-07-2006, 10:54 PM
Everytime i reach in to pick her up, she moves away and hisses and bluff strikes. This doesn't bother me, but i was just curious if they grow out of this behavior when they become full grown adults.With continued handling, your snake should grow out of the bluffing it does now. It's doing that because it's afraid and when it gets used to you it won't be afraid any more so it should stop doing it.

I think its strange that i see juvenile hognose snakes at shows, pet stores, and photos online. Yet i've only seen one full grown adult in person. Where are all the full grown snakes? I, too, see tons of baby snakes, not only hognose but everything under the sun. I have also seen adults for sale but not nearly as many as the baby snakes.

I could be totally wrong but I believe the reason you don't see a lot of adult snakes, hoggies included, is because it costs a lot of money and takes a lot of time to raise a baby snake to adulthood and you're usually never going to get your money back by selling it after you've raised it for 3 years or so. I think that's why you don't see a lot of adult snakes for sale. They are there though. I've bought adult KSBs, corn snakes, cape gopher, Baja gopher, Sonoron gophers, albino Cali-kings, etc. The first four I bought at shows and the last two I bought off an ad right here on Fauna.

Does anyone have any? And if you do, could you tell me if they still hiss and strike when they get to be adults?
A friend of mine has a trio of westerns that are 3 years old. One female is a puffer & a hisser and the other two just spread their heads a little bit, nothing more. He doesn't handle them regularly either, just to feed & clean them. They are his future breeders.

TheKingOfPrague
02-08-2006, 12:47 AM
Thanks for your response. Just curious, what are your gophers like? Are they cool captives? I've read they hiss similar to hognose snakes.

ladyserpent7
02-08-2006, 06:02 AM
you dont even have to wait till theyre adults....it might just not know you well enough yet...but after a few months..itll get used to you...with my snake giselle.....she used to hiss and do the same thing when i first got her..but now....nothing in the WORLD will make her even his...except at dinner time..shes reallly mellow...youll get used to it...you live in cali....in burbank...on victory..there is a pet store..millenium pets...they sale an adult hognose..

ladyserpent7
02-08-2006, 06:06 AM
also..if you feed her in her terrarium..that might be it too, because she might mistake your hand for food or wanting to feed her

Karen Hulvey
02-08-2006, 07:12 PM
Just curious, what are your gophers like? Are they cool captives? I've read they hiss similar to hognose snakes.I love my gophers. My Sonorons are really sweethearts. They don't even coil their mice, they just gently take it off the tongs and suck them down. The Baja doesn't bite but she rattles her tail like a rattlesnake.