PDA

View Full Version : whats YOUR favorite hognose

ladyserpent7
04-04-2006, 03:42 PM
i have a western hognose, and thats the first type that i was introduced to..and i love how pretty they are and how easy they are to take care of....whats your favorite type of hognose and why?

varnyard
04-09-2006, 02:19 AM
The Eastern are my favorite. I have been catching them since I was young. I kept some as pets when I was a kid. I was raised up in Clearwater Florida, and we had a bunch of them around where I lived. The locals said they were ground rattlers, but I knew different. I still see a few here in north Florida (Panama city) now and then on my herpin trips. I think they are awesome creatures. It don't seem like there are as many as there were years ago.

ladyserpent7
04-09-2006, 02:48 AM
The Eastern are my favorite. I have been catching them since I was young. I kept some as pets when I was a kid. I was raised up in Clearwater Florida, and we had a bunch of them around where I lived. The locals said they were ground rattlers, but I knew different. I still see a few here in north Florida (Panama city) now and then on my herpin trips. I think they are awesome creatures. It don't seem like there are as many as there were years ago.

which is a total shame....and something needs to be done bout that.....oh btw....did you usually see them as adults..like 2-3 ft...or young ones......cuz i RARELY see adults....and i dont know why

varnyard
04-09-2006, 02:55 AM
Now that you mention it, they were mostly young. That is why they get confused with the ground rattlers. That is probably why there are not more around now, due to people's fear of them. :rolleyes: I have seen some adults in remote areas here, but most of the ones I see are juveniles.

Art Klass
04-09-2006, 08:54 AM
My eleven year old daughter, Dakota, was in my snake room the other day looking at my boas. She saw my only retic and asked about it. She thought all snakes look like boas. (I have failed as a herp father). So we hit the computer and I introduced her to the world of snakes. Of everything we looked at she fell in love with the hognose. (not a bad choice either, could have been a gaboon). I told her to do the research, learn all about it, pass my test and then she can buy one at an upcoming show that I attend. She chose the western on your poll. I am excited for her. I hope she gets the bug.

varnyard
04-09-2006, 10:45 AM
Thats great art!!! I like to see children taking an interest in our hobby. My son is only 9 months old, but is already watching them. Maybe he will be a keeper too, but I am not going to force him. I can dream though. :)

ladyserpent7
04-10-2006, 01:56 AM
:thumbsup: :hurray: im so happy for her art...yaaaaay...

unidaddy
06-28-2006, 11:19 AM
The only experience I have thus far is with my one Western......not a very wide-ranging opinion.......maybe someday I'll have a couple different types to have a broader perspective (I'll have a big job convincing someone here that we need another snake). Those tri-colors are very cool, though.

ladyserpent7
07-07-2006, 12:58 AM
yah..i agree rob...they are very unique...ive never seen one in real life though...just in pictures...theyre a lot more rare

antisocial
07-07-2006, 08:33 AM
i saw the tri colors at a show in chicago last year and kick myself everyday for not bringing them home with me. i keep westerns now they are hands down my favorite snake in my colection. i would also be interested in easterns i have seen nice pics but never any for sale(hint hint posible customer here)

markface
07-14-2006, 11:04 PM
i'm very partial to the easterns as those are what i grew up catching . when i was a kid our family would do family reunuins down on the outer banks of north carolina and i've found god knows how many of them over the years . the westerns are pretty nice too . we have a bunch of hatchling westerns in the petshop i work at right now .

Mooing Tricycle
10-04-2006, 05:36 PM
Thats great art!!! I like to see children taking an interest in our hobby. My son is only 9 months old, but is already watching them. Maybe he will be a keeper too, but I am not going to force him. I can dream though. :)

My Boyfriends Little Brother and sister love the snakes we have and so do alot of the other children that live in the complex, including my landlord, ( whom i gave a ball python to recently!) I hope to get the kids addicted to snakes too, but i guess well see. Theyre a bit too crazy for snakes right at this time, but im hoping in the future i can convice their mother to let them get a pair of corns or something easy.

Im kind of glad that im living in a place thats fairly accepting of snakes. our neighbors dont mind them and even like to look at them when i bring them outside. though it seems that most everyone else around me HATES them!

In the Poll i chose eastern hoggies just cause thats the first kind of hoggy i ever got to see. Theyre pretty interesting little buggers! i love the play dead bit they do!

:thumbsup:

Pug
10-25-2006, 10:32 PM
I'm a western fan.

I've got a 32" western named Snakey (generic, I know). Her pics are somewhere in this forum. They're my favorite because they're friendly, don't need a lot of room (although she's going to be in a 4 foot by 2 foot cage) and look cool. Easterns look cool too, but having to feed toads is kind of a hassle.

Schlyne
11-10-2006, 12:39 PM
I like the look of the tricolors, but I really love the westerns. I don't own any yet, but I'm trying to get the permit process going (threatened native species in IL).

Lauren Summey
11-10-2006, 12:59 PM
My eleven year old daughter, Dakota, was in my snake room the other day looking at my boas. She saw my only retic and asked about it. She thought all snakes look like boas. (I have failed as a herp father). So we hit the computer and I introduced her to the world of snakes. Of everything we looked at she fell in love with the hognose. (not a bad choice either, could have been a gaboon). I told her to do the research, learn all about it, pass my test and then she can buy one at an upcoming show that I attend. She chose the western on your poll. I am excited for her. I hope she gets the bug.

aww, that's great! :) I hope that she gets the "herp bug" too! ;)

Lauren Summey
11-10-2006, 01:00 PM
I've only kept Westerns and Easterns (though I don't own any hoggies right now), but I'd have to say that the Westerns are my favorites. :) :thumbsup:

Nanci
12-11-2006, 11:56 AM
I have a Tri (L. pulcher) and an Eastern. I love the Eastern, but feeding her has been extremely stressful. My Tri, OTOH, is voracious and eats unscented FT pinks within seconds of being placed in his feeding container.

The Eastern is very gentle and shy, and I love her hood-spreading and hissing and puffing. I was also surprised about how much time she spends hanging in vines. She is out before the sun comes up and stays out all day.

The Tri is in hiding. I have never seen him out except on his first day. He is very gentle, too. If I set him down, his first reaction it to try to burrow. It's pretty funny. He also twitches like a horse if I touch him- just in one little area. He doesn't hiss or spread his hood- if he even has one- I don't think so. He makes a great photo subject since he'd rather curl up and burrow than run away.

Both are unique- but Tri got my vote for favorite because feeding him is so easy.

Nanci

The BoidSmith
01-28-2007, 06:12 PM
Lystrophis d'orbigny localy known as "false yara or false coral", a southern South American species; hands down beautiful species!

Nanci
01-30-2007, 02:22 PM
Dan, do you _have_ a dorbignyi yet??? They are quite out of _my_ price range, though I agree, they are very beautiful.

Nanci

The BoidSmith
01-30-2007, 03:16 PM
Yes, I do. Awesome snakes! :)

Regards.

Nanci
01-30-2007, 04:05 PM
Lucky, lucky, lucky!!

Nanci

ssshane
06-12-2007, 06:23 PM
I like the melanistic easterns, the solid black ones. Ones where no trace of pattern can be seen.

romad119
07-21-2007, 05:22 PM
I picked westies since that the only ones I have now. I get a kick out of the size diference between genders. I like the dorbignyis myself (on my list) but I can't get into the tri-colors. I thinks tis the fact that they look like other colubrids pattern-wise. I like the spotted/blotchered patterns.

ssshane
07-22-2007, 12:02 AM
This is my new favorite, since she is the only one I have now.

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h127/SSuperiorSSerpents/E%20Hognose%20locale%20sp/SS25NewHanoverCo04FHog.jpg

She also laid these:
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h127/SSuperiorSSerpents/E%20Hognose%20locale%20sp/NewHanoverCo.jpg

She laid June 14th or 15th. I had them at 79 deg., but have since raised it to 81.5 deg. Hope it doesnt change things too much. My friend has a solid black female, you cant see any pattern on her at all. Solid melanistic. But the eggs dont look good. We will see. Do you think the temp change will matter?

romad119
08-20-2007, 10:40 PM
My fave is L. dorbygni of which I currently have 1.1

ssshane
08-21-2007, 09:20 AM
Here are the first 2 that have started to shed.
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h127/SSuperiorSSerpents/E%20Hognose%20locale%20sp/MaleHog1.jpg
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h127/SSuperiorSSerpents/E%20Hognose%20locale%20sp/MaleHog2.jpg

ladyserpent7
08-21-2007, 01:41 PM
thats great shane..you were able to capture the moment...ive had mine for almost years and ive yet to actually see her shed..i keep all her shed skin though..shes shed a bunch of times since

King of Snake
08-24-2007, 01:30 PM
I'd have to say my little Western Hoggy, although I'm sorting out a tri-colour at the moment. I love how they bluff and hiss and get all noisy but when you pick them up they justy go like "OK, you got me!!!" and relax. So much character.

:)

ladyserpent7
08-24-2007, 04:13 PM
hey william...nice to finally see you jump on the hognose bandwagon...no toughness here....just be yourself... :D :rofl:

King of Snake
08-24-2007, 05:41 PM
hey william...nice to finally see you jump on the hognose bandwagon...no toughness here....just be yourself... :D :rofl:

Thanks Rana, how could I refuse anyway after such a strict invitation in my Hello thread. Nice to be here. I love Hoggies and I'm looking for a suitable female to put to my male but I still have some homework to do on the actuall breeding set-up yet.

:)

ladyserpent7
08-24-2007, 07:10 PM
i have a female ;)...but then again..i live in good ol' LA

romad119
08-24-2007, 08:03 PM
Rana,

Get a male. For your snake that is.

King of Snake
08-25-2007, 12:30 AM
i have a female ;)...but then again..i live in good ol' LA

I was there a few years ago on my way to Vegas. Pretty cool looking city and the pilot was falling over himself pointing out landmarks which was cool. I didn't have enought time between flights to dip my toe in the Pacific, though.

:(

ladyserpent7
08-25-2007, 07:24 AM
Rana,

Get a male. For your snake that is.

yah i was contemplating the thought...but i just dont have the room to breed now...i can barely fit me and giselle in my room...i would have to get a bigger tank..and then what if the babies dont sell right away....and what if some die??!!...im a bit apprehensive cuz ive never done it..or thought about doing it for that matter of fact...for the snake that is ;P :shrug01:

romad119
08-26-2007, 02:27 PM
Rana,

You just need a bigger place to live. Lol. Westies will be my first breedable snake for me. I have 2.2 to match up in the spring.

ladyserpent7
08-26-2007, 05:12 PM
congrats...as for me..ill let you know when i move..lol

Tim McRae
10-17-2007, 09:18 AM
http://market.kingsnake.com/image/683507.jpgAxanthic Western Hognose

Tim McRae
10-17-2007, 09:21 AM
I'm buying his and her kids in 3 weeks

ladyserpent7
01-25-2008, 04:30 AM
hmm...the picture is not showing, but im sure youll have more for us later :)

MDC_Ophiuchus
02-04-2008, 10:53 AM
Giant Malagasy hognoses!

whytepizza
08-06-2008, 10:17 AM
I love westerns, and i also like mexicans.
Surprisingly, i've had better luck with feeding mexicans than i have with westerns. My westerns go on hunger strikes all the time! But, my absolute favorite snake is my 100% het albino western. She's only about 150g, so still pretty young, but she is sweet as can be. Then my second favorite is my WC mexican. He is also very sweet and tame, but his hood is quite impressive (only time i'll ever say that and i'll never say that around non-hognose lovers). Their temperments are incredible, ven compared to my other hogs. I was thinking about breeding them together in the future to get very mild mannered snakes, but as i've been informed mixing the species is not the best idea.

InHogHeaven
10-25-2008, 10:44 AM
My very most favorite Hoggy is my green phase, Western, Niizh. He is the love o'my life!

mudbug
11-23-2009, 05:03 AM
I wonder if anyone would select the other way to get a real hissy puffy hoggy. That would be pretty cute.

infamous445
03-28-2010, 03:12 AM
western but also like malaysian.