PDA

View Full Version : a snake that sneezes

ladyserpent7
04-08-2006, 02:03 AM
i remember once about a year ago, my hoggy got the flu....before that....i never knew snakes got the flu.......and i would hear her sneeze too......am i crazy, or have you guys ever heard of this too?

hhmoore
04-08-2006, 05:37 AM
While I am not sure about them getting "the flu", snakes can certainly sneeze and cough...and they do so for the same reasons: primarily in response to irritants (can be substrate related), to clear air passages (particulate debris from substrate, water, mucus; this becomes more prevalent in overly dry situations or sickness).
A random sneeze, or cough, is not necessarily a sign that your snake is ill, but it should not be considered normal. If you hear one, pay attention...listen for others. If you hear another, start trying to figure out what is going on.

I had one snake that would frequently sneeze or cough after taking a long drink...turns out she was "taking on water" while drinking. She would give one good cough or sneeze, sometimes spraying a little when she did it. The reason was that her enclosure was a little too dry, and secretions were builiding up in her nares.

ladyserpent7
04-09-2006, 01:09 AM
you know what...i also thought of something else my snake does that seems kinda strange...she twitches..when shes pushing against her own skin..or when shes finding it difficult to turn...she twitches.....is that weird or is it just me?

hhmoore
04-09-2006, 02:37 AM
when shes pushing against her own skin
huh?
I have noticed that colubrids twitch sometimes when they are "excited" (sorry to use such an anthropomorphic term, but it fits). Excited by the prospect of food, by the presence of another snake, by a touch etc (note that the term excite does not necessarily impart any emotional response...and it is not used to denote any here) . Perhaps the twitch is simply her response to agitation (frustration, if you will, lol).

ladyserpent7
04-09-2006, 02:44 AM
yah......frustrated that shes not able to dig through her skin....haha...i have to keep moving her head and she keeps trying to dig in herself.......awwwww.....shes so cute

varnyard
04-09-2006, 02:46 AM
I agree with Harald. I have seen them do this as well. Has she ever done this when you are interacting with her, or when you feed her?

ladyserpent7
04-09-2006, 02:50 AM
no not when i feed her.....just when shes in my hand...and going through my fingers....is it a bad thing?

varnyard
04-09-2006, 03:02 AM
No it is not a bad thing, but it does answer the question of her being excited. I would say that is exactly what is going on with her. She will probably lose this as she gets more handling. Then again she may do it forever. I had a CCB adult female snow corn that would do it every time I interacted with her.
She never offered to bite, or musk, but she would twitch.

ladyserpent7
04-09-2006, 03:09 AM
more handling...haha......not possible...aaaawwwwwwwwwwwww so you mean she gets happy when i hold her.......thats so cute...im gonna go kiss her right now

hhmoore
04-09-2006, 03:45 AM
remember, I did say that I did not mean for the term "excite" to carry any emotional connotations (what? me? anthropomorphize? never. well, not usually, lol)

excite
v 1: arouse or elicit a feeling 2: act as a stimulant; 3: raise to a higher energy level; 4: stir feelings in; 5: cause to be agitated, excited, or roused; 6: stimulate sexually;

ladyserpent7
04-09-2006, 03:53 AM
so .....shes...sniff ...not happy to see me?

hhmoore
04-09-2006, 04:11 AM
I can't say for sure without witnessing her response to you ;)
but she probably is

ladyserpent7
04-10-2006, 01:23 AM
of course she is!! im her mommy.....she cant live without meeeee