PDA

View Full Version : Hairy frogs?

Lucille
04-08-2006, 09:29 PM
There's some guy selling rare hairy frogs on the Fauna classified section.
I am fascinated with the idea. Anyone know more about these critters?

Lucille
04-08-2006, 09:52 PM
I just had to research this, look what I found on the internet, are these frogs amazing or what?

The Hairy Frog (Trichobatrachus robustus) lives in highland streams in the Cameroons, West Africa. I first came across them as a youngster while reading Gerald Durrell's The Bafut Beagles, and they have intrigued me ever since. The frogs are not in fact hairy, however the males at certain times of the year develop long flowing tendrils of skin along their flanks and thighs. Frogs can take in oxygen to a certain extent through their skin from water. During the breeding season the male frog grabs hold of the female around her waist and holds on tightly for quite sometime, although she can surface occasionally for a breath of air, the male frog doesn't want to loose his female and so his nostrils never break the water's surface. The increased surface area of his skin allows him to absorb enough oxygen through his 'hairs' to stay alive until she is ready to spawn. I was lucky enough to be loaned a living specimen of a male hairy frog by the British Museum in the late 1970s and can confirm that they do in fact have razor sharp claws on their feet which can lacerate a persons hands just as Gerald Durrell described. Since then I have maintained several specimens in captivity, some for as long as four years.

Robotchicken09
04-10-2006, 01:24 PM
weird....ive heard fo them b4 tho