PDA

View Full Version : bitten by a hog


ladyserpent7
04-17-2006, 01:38 AM
just wondering.......has anyone ever been bitten by a hognose before...or chewed on.....what did you do? did it hurt?

PaulSage
04-17-2006, 03:59 AM
My hog tried to bite me a few times, but he'd only make a threatening strike. I never felt teeth or anything, and I don't really remember if he ever made contact at all. He was such a bluffer. lol He'd mostly hiss out of one end and piss out the other. :bolt01:

hhmoore
04-17-2006, 06:03 AM
just wondering.......has anyone ever been bitten by a hognose before...or chewed on.....what did you do? did it hurt?
I've got to say that I don't remember...it would seem that I must have, because we had them at the shop, and I remember forcefeeding a few til we could get toads. Hmmmmmmm, I'm going to guess that I did not...I would have remembered (I'm good like that, lol). But I can answer the rest of them anyway: I wouldn't have sat there and let it chew on me...that is a privilege reserved for varanids (I have been known to let other things bite and hold on, though). I would have done nothing (small mammals that bite me get whacked, reptiles are forgiven that indiscretion). It would not have hurt.

wcreptiles
04-17-2006, 06:34 AM
Here's a pictorial of someone bitten by a western hognose, I believe he let him chew for 3 to 5 minutes on purpose to see the results.

http://www.herpnet.net/bite/

hhmoore
04-17-2006, 06:58 AM
I've seen that...isn't it interesting what some people will do to themselves in the name of "science", lol.

ladyserpent7
04-18-2006, 03:50 AM
omg wow....shouldnt he have gone to the hospital or something...his whole ARM was swollen...yeesh...but have you guys noticed that whatever theyre doing (hogs) theyre always the cutest things :)...

snakester
04-19-2006, 11:24 AM
I got bit bye my Eastern Hog because of a feeding response.
It got me on my hand and hung on for less than 1 min. I washed out the bite with soap and water and never had any swelling or any thing else.
It did not realy hurt much but I have been bitten by quite a few snakes so I am starting to get use to it!
the worst bite I have had was a 5' corn snake that would not let go for about 5 mins! it got my finger and thought it had a rat!

Most of the time my Eastern Hognose would strike with it's mouth closed. and just hiss a lot.

Snakester's Reptiles.

varnyard
04-19-2006, 01:22 PM
The western hogs are known to have a real bad bite (for a non-venomous). The Eastern don't seem to pack the same punch in their bite. Hognose snakes are not constrictors, rather, they are rear-fanged and possess mild venom. Their venom is not known to be toxic to humans. But as shown in the link, it does have a definite affect on us. As the old saying goes, all snakes are venomous, it's just the ones that have no, or little affect on humans that are called non-venomous.

ladyserpent7
04-21-2006, 01:19 AM
As the old saying goes, all snakes are venomous, it's just the ones that have no, or little affect on humans that are called non-venomous.

ive never heard that before...i dont get it.

varnyard
04-21-2006, 01:28 PM
Rana, it is 100% true. All snakes are. Some people can get bit by a grass snake and have a bad reaction. It is in every snake's saliva. It is Just that most non-venomous have no, to little affect on humans. This helps snakes digest their food. The venom causes tissue damage and begins the digestive process. Sometimes this venom can be quite dangerous in species like cobras, rattlesnakes, kraits, vipers, and sea snakes. There are approximately 300 snake species that are considered extremely dangerous to humans, although toxic elements can be found in the saliva of many species considered nonvenomous.

darkbloodwyvern
04-21-2006, 11:28 PM
Recent research seems to indicate that most reptiles have similar toxic spit. It is suspected that a lot of infections blamed on germs in a reptiles mouth may actually be the toxins or envenomation of the person's bite wound. The venom or toxins usually aren't concentrated or dangerous enough to kill people, but like allergies, what one person barely feels, another can die from.
I read this article in a Science (I think) a few months ago, very interesting, I will see if i can find the magazine it was in.

ladyserpent7
04-21-2006, 11:58 PM
wow..i never knew that..out of all the research ive ever done..nothing like that ever came up...i know that only about 10% of snakes are venemous...so what about constrictors..they have venom in their spit....i guess that 10% is talking about snakes with fangs huh....what interesting information...i never knew that before ..if you guys have more information, please post it :)

Junkyard
04-22-2006, 01:23 PM
I have never been bitten by a hog nose snake.