PDA

View Full Version : how long have you had YOUR hog?

ladyserpent7
04-18-2006, 03:52 AM
ive had giselle for about a a year and 7 months....i got her september 11,2004........ill never forget that day..haha....how long have you guys had your hogs.....how long have they grown so far...........does anyone have an adult hog?

Clay Davenport
04-18-2006, 04:49 AM
I believe I got my most recent group of hogs in 2003, btu I'd have to look at my records to be sure.
I kept them years ago as well, but for some reason wound up letting them go.
I always regretted not having them, because they're great little snakes so I bought 2.3 to get started with them again.

Unfortunately I've had a disappointment this season. I didn't realize the days were slipping by and it was getting time for them to lay. One female laid a clutch of 6 but had no humid laying area so she just deposited them in the aspen bedding where they quickly dessicated before I found them.
I wasn't expecting eggs yet, but looked at the calendar and my notes and found it had indeed been two months since they were breeding. Too much concentrating on the pythons I suppose.

lefty_mussolini
04-18-2006, 02:07 PM
I just got my 1.1 pair of Green phase hogs a month ago. I have had many other snakes for a while and have been wanting to get some hognose snakes. Well, after a month they are high on the list of favorite snakes that I keep.

TripleMoonsExotic
04-22-2006, 07:12 PM
I've had my oldest hognose, Smeigal, since he hatched in 2002. :)

kare
04-23-2006, 01:27 PM
Our oldest was a female that passed away in Oct. 2005. She was 12. Her mate had passed years before. We are starting back up on the hoggies and our current group range from 2-4 years of age. I plan on starting the breeding next season, if the females look ready.

ladyserpent7
04-24-2006, 04:04 AM
Our oldest was a female that passed away in Oct. 2005. She was 12. Her mate had passed years before. We are starting back up on the hoggies and our current group range from 2-4 years of age. I plan on starting the breeding next season, if the females look ready.

im sorry for you loss...how long was she as an adult...

btw..i love your avatar :)

kare
04-24-2006, 11:09 PM
She was quite the piggy, about 10 inches long (maybe just a bit bigger) and as big as a 50 cent piece in diameter. You should have seen her excitement when it was feeding time. Like Pavlov's dog. LOL. Every week you could count on her to eat. She never missed a meal. The last year out of brumation she laid 18 slugs (the male we have just couldn't get the job done). I really wish I had a chance to have one of her babies. She is missed.

kare
04-24-2006, 11:11 PM
thanks on the avatar! I'm a Packer Backer and just had to find someway to display "the cheese" without the obvious big "G".:dancer01::dancer01:

ladyserpent7
04-26-2006, 01:29 AM
She was quite the piggy, about 10 inches long (maybe just a bit bigger) and as big as a 50 cent piece in diameter. You should have seen her excitement when it was feeding time. Like Pavlov's dog. LOL. Every week you could count on her to eat. She never missed a meal. The last year out of brumation she laid 18 slugs (the male we have just couldn't get the job done). I really wish I had a chance to have one of her babies. She is missed.

really? ...mine is more than10 inches now and shes only a couple years old....she didnt grow up to 2-3 ft?...

kare
04-26-2006, 07:55 AM
She was small, only about a foot and half at most. I wish I would have measured her when she was still with us. Time makes my memories fuzzy. LOL. She had been neglected early in her life and we figured during that 2 year spread she stunted. Her last 6 years she didn't have a mate until her last spring. She wiggled everywhere, but never hooked up, that I saw. She laid 18 slugs. So she was willing. Then there was that October day when I looked in her cage and she had passed. I gotta believe 12 years was a good lot for her.

Kare

ladyserpent7
04-27-2006, 03:22 AM
do you have any pictures of her..you know..in loving memory :)

kare
04-27-2006, 08:06 AM
I don't have any pictures of her. By the time I finally got a digital camera, I was too interested in taking pics of all the babies, I never really took pictures of the adults. I am still working on taking pics of the whole crew. One picture I am trying to get is one of my juvenile female hoggies when she feeds. I put her f/t fuzzy in a seperate container, then I can hold her in mid body, she will open her mouth and let me scoop her into the food. Just like a shovel. She is too funny. Of course, she will eat on her own, too. I'll post some pictures this weekend of the 4 I have and hopefully my friend's 2 will cooperate for pictures, too.