PDA

View Full Version : Feeding in Shed

Razaiel
06-21-2006, 02:10 PM
This is my hoggy's first shed with us. She was bought as an adult from our local garden center (age uncertain they though 1-2 years but don't really know). We bought her about 5 months ago now and she's only just started her shedding process. Her humidity is not high as caresheets say their humidity shouldn't be high but I thought she would have shed before now.

I have a greedy BP who always eats every week whether in shed or not so decided I would still offer my hoggy a meal today - it was a pinky (not too big) and though she was interested in it, it seemed she couldn't get her mouth open wide enough to get it in (she normally eats a small to medium mouse).

She's had dulled skin now for about a week or more and has had opaque eyes for a couple of days. Could it be that the old skin round her mouth is too tight for her to get her mouth open wide enough?

norsmis
06-21-2006, 03:41 PM
I have found that some snakes, no matter the species, just wont eat during the shedding process. She could be just nervous about taking a meal in while opaque as they are kind of vunerable at this stage and a meal in their bellies will slow them down. Give her some time to shed and try again. I am sure she wll scarf it up then!

ladyserpent7
06-22-2006, 02:39 AM
yah..my hog wont eat during her shed..sometimes she doesnt eat even a week before the process..but she doesnt do that anymore...but they tend to get a little more nervous or self conscious because they cant see the food...go figure since sight isnt their best feature anyway..haha....but im pretty sure shell gobble it right up like Ron said :)..lets us know what happens...btw...i was a bit surprised when you said your bp eats during shedding..ive never seen a snake do that..especially a bp cuz theyre already a bit sensitive

Razaiel
06-22-2006, 02:51 AM
I'll stop worrying ;) It just looked strange to me because she seemed to want it and had her mouth on it and was wiggling it around just that she seemed unable to open her mouth wide - I'm just a worry wort! I'll wait till she sheds.

Ya, my BP has always fed during shed - I'm on a BP forum and quite a few people there have BPs that eat during shed. My BP definitely isn't the classic "shy, irregular feeding habit" BP though (thank goodness!)

Razaiel
06-22-2006, 03:51 AM
Actually I was wondering about humidity - I know humidity is lower on these than for BPs - but should I boost it up during shed? I have been spraying her and her area now for a couple of days twice a day.

ladyserpent7
06-22-2006, 06:04 PM
well..giselle Just shed today..and i didnt get a chance to mist her at all even...so i think she should be fine..i doubt you need to worry or mist that much....when mine sheds i onley mist her and her tank like once or twice a week..and shes ALWAYS shed a whole skin...never had a problem w/ that...so you should be fine..hope that helps :)