PDA

View Full Version : Zith. Juv Female Western Hognose. Various images

GQMedic
09-07-2006, 06:45 PM
Image 1 is taken outside in my front yard. Particularly warm and bright day, so I decided to allow my snake up soak up some sun and some natural warmth.

Image 2 and 3 is Zith having struck a large pinky mouse, envenomating. It was interesting to observe the slow effects of the venom. There was after a minute some spazms visible in the mouse. After about 4 minutes, the mouse was incapacitated with some agonal respirations remaining, Zith released to reposition for swallowing, there were two very clear fang punctures visible on the mouses posterrior thorax. At the puncture site, there was well defined bruising and bleeding from the puncture sites, I am wondering if the venom of this species contains anti-coagulation thrombolytic properties similiar to other species containing hemotoxic/cytotoxic venoms. A remarkable process I have only observed in various diamond back rattle snakes.

Has anyone else ever made these observations with thier Western Hognose Snakes?

GQMedic
09-07-2006, 06:50 PM
Additional:

My appologies to the image numbers. Somehow, the images were in reverse order. I don't have the access to edit the post.

Nanci
11-27-2006, 03:09 PM
Hmmm...I have a yearling Tri-Color Hog. When I fed him yesterday, he first took the FT Fuzzy by biting it in the middle of the abdomen, as yours did. I just thought he couldn't find the head- never thought of envenomation! It's only his second feeding for me- I wonder if this is what they usually do??? I'm going to watch him again next time...

Nanci