PDA

View Full Version : Question on eating habits

techgirl
02-11-2007, 09:56 AM
I have a 9 gm western and she has decided to not eat these past 3 weeks. I have tried f/t, live and brained pinkies. I have put her in a paper bag each time I try but to no avail. I was thinking of picking up an anole at Hamburg to use for scenting. Is this a good idea? She is active and moves around the cage well. Any other suggestions? I did have her up for sale but am putting it off until I can get her eating and some more weight on her before selling her. If I have to keep her, I will. She's too sweet to risk getting her sick. I just wanted to concentrate on my ball pythons. I guess she'll have to be my pseudo bp.

DAND
02-11-2007, 10:16 AM
Toad has been known to be better for scenting for Hoggies.

techgirl
02-11-2007, 09:51 PM
Where do I get toads from and what kind?

aliceinwl
02-12-2007, 11:34 PM
You would want use toads native to north America. I've heard of people having good results with green treefrogs as well and these are readily available. You can try rubbing a live pink on the frog and offering it. If this doesn't work you could put the frog in with the hog and once the hog goes into feeding mode, you pull the frog and offer the scented pink.

I've also heard about a few people having success with tuna water scented pinks.

Is your snake losing weight or looking dangerously thin? Hogs are known for fasting and since it's winter she may just be going off food as part of her natural cycle.

-Alice

techgirl
02-12-2007, 11:41 PM
No she looks fine. Active as can be. I was debating if it was her being in winter mode. She has weighed 10 gm since I got her in December. She weighe 9 gms on Thursday. She is fat and in good body condition. I just feel with her being so small to not chance her losing weight. I can pick up green tree frogs at Hamburg then. She is a great little girl and just want to make sure she stays that way.