PDA

View Full Version : Changing

Nettie_25
12-04-2002, 04:52 PM
Can anyone tell me how hard it is to change from a live diet to f/t? I have 2 normal ball pythons and 1 JCP. They have all been eating live since I have had them, and I have been thinking of changing to f/t. Is this a good idea? Thanks for any input.

ihooklow
12-08-2002, 02:01 AM
Nettie,

If your snakes are aggressive feeders, p/ft should not be an issue. You may want to start them on "fresh" prekills first if you are worried about it.

I have had quite a few snakes (although never any Balls or JCP's oddly) and never had any problem with frozen - even with young Dumeril's boas which I have heard can be a bit finicky.

The main reason I went to frozen / prekilled was an article I read about its benefits - reduction in stress, reduction in food-borne pathogens, no risk of injury from uneaten rodents, and the most important reason - its cheaper and more convenient!

- Michael.

Winter
12-08-2002, 11:46 AM
Hi there,

As Michael said, changing from live to F/T is usually not a big issue with most. It will be safer for the snakes in question and is also much more convienent because you can buy and store in bulk.

Here is an article by Robyn of ProExotics that will give you some advice about how and why to make the switch. Good luck!

Feeding Frozen/Thawed (http://www.proexotics.com/FAQ_answers_Why_do_you_suggest_feeding_thawed.html )

~Lauren

Nettie_25
12-09-2002, 03:19 PM
Thank you Michael and Lauren. That was a very mind changing article you linked me to!!! My decision is made!!!