PDA

View Full Version : What Should I Do?!

IloveSnakes1234
07-14-2007, 10:27 PM
OK, today I noticed a bird flying around my mom's plants... I looked inside and SUPRISE! hatched baby birds... But My mom didn't know so tonight when she went to water the plants the mom (or dad, I don't know about birds) flew away and never came back... What should I do? Should I take them and take care of them? Or let 'em die?

hhmoore
07-14-2007, 10:38 PM
Leave them - in all likelihood the parents will return when they feel it is safe. If you take the babies, you will be hand feeding them until they are able to make it on their own. Depending on the species, there may be laws against having them in your possession, even for rehabilitation purposes. (not to mention it is kind of a pain in the butt, though it is a fun & rewarding experience if you are successful)

IloveSnakes1234
07-14-2007, 10:53 PM
Leave them - in all likelihood the parents will return when they feel it is safe. If you take the babies, you will be hand feeding them until they are able to make it on their own. Depending on the species, there may be laws against having them in your possession, even for rehabilitation purposes. (not to mention it is kind of a pain in the butt, though it is a fun & rewarding experience if you are successful)
How long will they survive withought food? If the mom doesn't come back by tomorrow I'll see if I can help them out. Then thing is I don't know what species it is...

hhmoore
07-14-2007, 11:29 PM
Not very long - baby birds are typically fed every few hours (I don't remember how long that phase lasts, but it is dependent on growth and species). Keep in mind that you might not see the parents much, unless you manage to surprise them again. They don't want you to know the nest is there, so they won't just come and go with you there.

If you don't have the supplies and knowledge to do it, you might as well leave them for the parents. (food has to be the right consistency, temperature, and frequency, or the babies won't fare well)

IloveSnakes1234
07-15-2007, 01:08 AM
Actually, the chicks died... I went to check on them a couple minutes ago.
I feel so horrible! :(

Wolfy-hound
07-15-2007, 10:05 PM
Don't feel too bad. It happens. Sometimes the babies will die, even if you had taken them in and tried, it could be they got wet and cold right away from the watering. Hopefully mommy bird picks a better spot next nest.
Wolfy