PDA

View Full Version : A blue egg!

My_Spyder
05-09-2008, 10:34 AM
Whaddup all. It doesnt look like many people come to this thread but ill ask anyways. Just a few minutes ago i looked outside again on a birds nest. There was one egg in there and it was cold and havent seen anything sit on it since yesterday. So ive taken it so it does not freeze to death. Its teal in color so i think its a robins egg? Anyone have any advice on how to hatch it? Like temperatures, how long it should take, if theres a way to see if its even alive. Right now i have it in a tissue box with 2 towels in there on top of Spyder's cage on the nightlite cuz its kinda warm but not hot. Any advice is appreciated. As i dont wanna save it from freezing it then cook it :( Thanks for looking!!

Uroboros
05-09-2008, 07:34 PM
I swear, people suck. There were a couple of forums where someone asked that same question and all they got back was, "Well, I'd try to hatch it and if it doesn't hatch in a couple weeks it's probably dead" (http://www.vegsource.com/animal/birds/messages/2757.html) Well, FINE, HOW DO I HATCH IT?? If you don't have anything to contribute, don't be frustrating jerkwads!!

Here's what I found:
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/If_you_found_an_egg_that_fell_from_its_nest_and_do _not_have_an_incubator_how_can_you_incubate_it_in_ the_wild_or_raise_it_yourself

Someone at WikiAnswers compares them to pheasant eggs.

And this:
http://www.peafowl.org/ARTICLES/4/

for how to incubate Peafowl eggs.

It also mentions that humidity is important!!

Mooing Tricycle
05-09-2008, 07:36 PM
Rotation, and humidity are important, from what im reading on this.

I dont know enough about eggs to help you though! but i will say, that i wish you luck if you do hatch it. Baby birds are a massive full time commitment!

Uroboros
05-09-2008, 07:39 PM
Cheryl would probably be the optimal source for answers here.

Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
05-09-2008, 09:15 PM
me?

What do I know about wild bird eggs?

Ummmmm........
If it were a turkey or a chicken then you should cook it at 99.5F~ Turn the egg three times a day for 18 days for a chicken egg~ 25 days for a turkey egg. Then stop turning it. The chicken egg would hatch around day 21~ the turkey egg would hatch around day 28. Humidity is important. You can tell if it is alive after about a week by candeling the egg~ just like reptile eggs~ viens mean alive.

If it were an emu egg~ cook it at 97.5F and turn it 3 to 4 times a day for 55 days~ then stop turning~ if the egg is alive it will hatch around day 60. Can't candle it.

My honest thought when I read this?
I don't know if the egg was dead when you took it or not~ but if it wasn't........it is now. Just because no bird was sitting on the egg and it was cold means nothing. There was only one egg in the nest. The bird (chickens~ turkeys~ emu anyway) don't begin to "sit" with just one egg. They lay several over a several day period and they do not warm the eggs by "sitting" until they have a clutch. This way the entire clutch will hatch at the same time. The birds I know a LITTLE about~ fertile eggs can be laid and left cool for up to a week or two at lower temps (not sure the exact temps~ not as cold as a fridge~ but certainly room or outside temps) before the female has laid enough eggs to begin to "sit".

Go ahead and try incubating the egg~ I'd GUESS at 98 to 99F until it hatches~ you give up~ or it explodes.....I understand poultry eggs can do that~ and I'm a bit worried about it right now myself as I have an incubator of full term chickens I'm reasonably sure I accidently killed (incubator trouble~ it creeped up to 114F on the LAST day of incubation~ for just a couple hours but I think it did them in~ still see viens but no movement and no hatching.....two days late now).

Good luck!

My_Spyder
05-09-2008, 10:51 PM
WELL "THEHERPINARTOR" quit being an asshole, im only sking a question to ensure the life of a bird if you disagree with it dont fuckin answer asshole. anyways ythe bird is doin good as of now and is warm so i hope itll hatch just dandy with no problems!! Anyone other than assholes that want to comment is wecome!!!

My_Spyder
05-09-2008, 10:53 PM
Ya know even tho i already spoke theherpinatopr is still an asshole. Thanks!!!!!

Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
05-09-2008, 11:49 PM
wow

One of us can't read. I thought he was trying to help you and complaining that he couldn't find helpfull answers though he actually looked (kind of sounds like you didn't actually look for an answer)..............and then he asked if I could help (he just didn't realize that I know next to nothing about birds~ I'm still learning myself)

I wonder~ was HE the jerk?
Ya think?

Uroboros
05-10-2008, 12:22 AM
WELL "THEHERPINARTOR" quit being an asshole, im only sking a question to ensure the life of a bird if you disagree with it dont fuckin answer asshole. anyways ythe bird is doin good as of now and is warm so i hope itll hatch just dandy with no problems!! Anyone other than assholes that want to comment is wecome!!!

Wow, not only a crap load of cursing, an insult as well! What do you think this is, the BOI??

I presume you're responding to the first part of my post. Too many of the threads that I read by GOOGLEing "incubate robin egg" wound up with responses like in the link that I posted, just no help.

If I were a jerkwad, I would have set a link to www.google.com However, I give a crap, so I did some research. Seeing as I have high speed internet and such.

Cool down, with any luck you'll follow the links I provided (granted, the information was somewhat difficult to come by) and you'll hatch a robin, feed it every two hours for three weeks and wind up with a bird!

Good luck, it's always an adventure!

Uroboros
05-10-2008, 12:24 AM
wow

One of us can't read. I thought he was trying to help you and complaining that he couldn't find helpfull answers though he actually looked (kind of sounds like you didn't actually look for an answer)..............and then he asked if I could help (he just didn't realize that I know next to nothing about birds~ I'm still learning myself)

I wonder~ was HE the jerk?
Ya think?

You're still the freaking bomb as far as I'm concerned.

Uroboros
05-10-2008, 02:40 AM

I still applaud your verve for the well being of a being that is less capable of taking care of itself.

We are all here because we love these beings.

Life can be beautiful, it's all in what we make of it!

Think about this: "Being" To be. To exist. Just like I am a "being" I am a thing that is existing. Be-ing. I'm sure some of y'all get it. Hopefully, yall are BE ing, too.

My_Spyder
05-10-2008, 06:12 AM
Even tho i already gave my opinion of theherpinator. Your still welcome to comment as i wish this bird to thrive and live. Other than cook and die as thherpinator wishes. Id wish it to live. Thanks for any advice!!!!!

Mooing Tricycle
05-10-2008, 07:44 AM
Even tho i already gave my opinion of theherpinator. Your still welcome to comment as i wish this bird to thrive and live. Other than cook and die as thherpinator wishes. Id wish it to live. Thanks for any advice!!!!!

Yeah, You are now considered a troll in my eyes.

Anyone wishing to help feed it, may do so as they wish, but other than sheer entertainment value, its not worth keeping around. :rolleyes:

Pretty pathetic that you cant actually read what has been written. He was TRYING TO HELP YOU. and you turn around and say this load of BS? :NoNo:

My_Spyder
05-11-2008, 12:21 PM
My bad herpo misread ur first message in a bad state if mind and didnt understand. I dont know why i wrote the other ones...i also didnt notice that anyone had responded afte rthe first few messages. My sincerest apologies. But back on subject i found out the robin nest which i thought had been abandoned and after reading that itll be alot of work to raise one i decided to put it back. And low and behold she popped out 2 more eggs so well have a whole family in front of our kitchen.