PDA

View Full Version : tiel abadoned eggs? help please

kels451
07-19-2008, 01:00 PM
Our cockatiel layed her first clutch of eggs recently, much to our delight. After candling, we determined all five were fertile. Mom was being a good mother constantly sitting and tending to her eggs. However, we are within a few days of the first hatching date and it appears she has possibly abandoned them. Yesterday she didn't sit on them until evening. This morning she was off of them again. We are so heartbroken. Do you think this is normal? Anything we can do to help? Was going to get an incubator if necessary...What do you think?

Lucille
07-19-2008, 02:59 PM
My tiel has done that. Some tiels are just not good parents.
Here is a good site that has people who will explain and give advice if you are going to try to hatch them out yourself: www.upatsix.com

The BoidSmith
07-19-2008, 04:28 PM
Our cockatiel layed her first clutch of eggs recently, much to our delight. After candling, we determined all five were fertile. Mom was being a good mother constantly sitting and tending to her eggs. However, we are within a few days of the first hatching date and it appears she has possibly abandoned them. Yesterday she didn't sit on them until evening. This morning she was off of them again. We are so heartbroken. Do you think this is normal? Anything we can do to help? Was going to get an incubator if necessary...What do you think?

How long has she been incubating?

Best

kels451
07-19-2008, 04:42 PM
She has been incubating for about 14 days. I candled them today and saw movement in four of the five eggs, so they are still viable. I did go and get an incubator. Getting it set up now. Just not sure I want to remove the eggs from the mom if not necessary.

Question: If I do put them in an incubator, is it possible to put them back into the nest for her after hatching???

The BoidSmith
07-19-2008, 09:33 PM
She has been incubating for about 14 days. I candled them today and saw movement in four of the five eggs, so they are still viable. I did go and get an incubator. Getting it set up now. Just not sure I want to remove the eggs from the mom if not necessary.

Question: If I do put them in an incubator, is it possible to put them back into the nest for her after hatching???

There are people that have done it, although it may depend on individual birds. You have one more week to go; it would be nice if you had a few "fake eggs" to leave in the nest. Years ago eggs made of wood were available, I don't know now.

Good luck!

Cat_Eyed_Lady
07-20-2008, 11:20 PM
How warm is it inside the nesting box?? Maybe it is warm enough that she doesnt think she needs to sit 24/7. Sometimes a first time female will get tired of sitting. You can incubate them but make sure to turn them about 4-6 times a day or they will not make it. Also, is the male feeding her? if he is, is he feeding her enough?? Maybe part of it is that she isnt getting him to feed her enough and she doesnt feel secure in bringing babies into the nest just to have to do it all herself? I have breeding tiels for about 20 years. :) There are some females that will do this a few days at about this time and then after a few days they go back to sitting. If this is the case, she will still turn them but will take this break before sitting again and then go on to raise a good clutch of babies. I wish you the best of luck and will watch for updates :)

kels451
07-21-2008, 04:26 PM
We wondered too if she thought it was warm enough in the day. We've had a digital thermometer set up and during the day its been around 80 to 85 degrees F.
After two days of her not sitting, we decided to move them to an incubator. I know what I've got myself into and am committed to it. Been doing a lot of research just to make sure everything will be just perfect after they are born. We should have hatching begin this weekend. Will keep everyone posted.

Thanks so much for everyone's help, suggestions, advice...You are wonderful!

Cat_Eyed_Lady
07-21-2008, 04:34 PM
Just remember that the last day or so to stop turning the eggs :) I did some day one white face and I fed them every hour day and night for quite some time but in the end it was worth it :)

What kind of formula will you be useing?? Just me being curious :)

kels451
07-21-2008, 05:04 PM
We will be using Roudybush for their formula. Cross your fingers and say a prayer. I know nature "takes its course", but I also believe in giving them every chance I can possibly provide--the animal lover in me :->

Oh, and yes, the issue with the father...he basically stunk. He pecked at her while she was on the nest and wouldn't let her alone, so we removed him early on. That didn't appear to bother her...she stayed on the nest and did her duties. But, like you said, she may have gotten tired of trying to do it all herself. I know I would!

kels451
07-21-2008, 05:08 PM
What type of formula do you all use? I've read so many different suggestions...do you have a particular reason for using it? Thanks!

Cat_Eyed_Lady
07-22-2008, 12:18 AM
When I first started I used Kaytee but then I started to get a lot of babies with crop rot and started to look around for something else. I tried Lakes.... OMG, what a night mare!! Sticky green krude everywhere!! and the babies didnt seem to get as robust as they should have gotten. I then tried Zupreme... I love the stuff. Its very simple to mix for either day one babies straight through weaning. If it did happen to get flung everywhere (not sure how that would happen LOL) after it dries, you just roll it between your fingers and it comes right off... or if you catch it right away, a wet cloth wipes it straight away. Either way doesnt stain the feathers. The babies got really nice shaped and great feathering. I have never used roudybush so I cant comment on that. I used the Zupreme for the past 12 years or so for my keets, tiels, suns and then a different Zupreme for my greys (TMG) and all did great.

Is roudybush a white sticky type of formula?? I had to use something like that for a clutch I raised for someone and it was aweful to deal with. The babies themselves grew pretty decent and got nice feathers but it was so sticky it was almost impossible to get off the skin or feathers of the babies.

kels451
07-22-2008, 09:52 AM
I had originally bought Kaytee formula, but ended up ordering Roudybush after hearing horrible reviews on Kaytee. Plus, what I didn't know at first, Kaytee still puts ethoxyquin in all of their foods. :x

The Roudybush formula is white, but I'm not sure if it's sticky because I haven't mixed any yet. I'll mix a little and let you know. :]

Cat_Eyed_Lady
07-22-2008, 12:52 PM
Good luck :) Hope it isnt the sticky stuff!

btw.... thought I would mention also that since you are feeding from day one, to get some plain vanilla yogourt. You will need to add a TINY speck about every other feeding til they are able to produce the bacteria themselves for processing food :) I usually stoped useing it at about 4 weeks or so.

btw.... what kind of tiels are you expecting?? white face, yellow face or normals? :)

kels451
07-25-2008, 04:19 PM
Good luck :) Hope it isnt the sticky stuff!

btw.... thought I would mention also that since you are feeding from day one, to get some plain vanilla yogourt. You will need to add a TINY speck about every other feeding til they are able to produce the bacteria themselves for processing food :) I usually stoped useing it at about 4 weeks or so.

btw.... what kind of tiels are you expecting?? white face, yellow face or normals? :)

I bought some bene-bac that contains Lactobacillus strains plus a few others. :] Will that do alright?

The female is a cinnamon pearl and the male is a cinnamon split pied, so I'm not really sure what I'm expecting, lol. If I have the mutations listed wrong, please correct me! :]

Latte (female) is on the left, Emily (male) is on the right.
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k59/raseri_/DSCF3035.jpg

kels451
07-25-2008, 04:25 PM
This morning, 25 July, one of Emily and Latte's chicks hatched sometime between midnight and 3:30AM. :] I'm so ecstatic that one made it through the hatching, so now I hope all goes well hand-feeding since I have to hand-feed from day 1. I have decided to name this chick Maris which is Latin for "sea."

I was utterly surprised that this chick survived because I had to repair a crack in the egg a few days ago. I must've gotten it repaired in time and well enough for the chick to survive.

Maris is eating his Roudybush formula pretty good. Sometimes he/she is a little finicky when I first try to feed, but then he/she gobbles it up.

Here's a pic of little Maris!
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k59/raseri_/maris1.jpg

Also, I weighed Maris before his first feeding. He/she weighed 5 grams. Is this a healthy weight?

Cat_Eyed_Lady
07-25-2008, 06:48 PM
The bene-bac sounds great :) I just did the easy route I guess LOL

You have the mutations correct and I must say they are gorgious! Super nice looking birds. You will probably end up with mostly cinnamons but it depends on what genes the parents are carrying..... so should be really interesting!!

Congrats on the new little baby!! :) the real work had begun lol :D He looks to be perfect sized. I look forward to seeing the other babies and how they begin to quill out to see what colors you will get :) Good luck with little Maris :)