PDA

View Full Version : Starting A Business

leogex
01-06-2003, 10:44 PM
So, I was just wondering how much of a profit some of you big time gecko breeders make every year. I am thinking of starting a small business of my own and I was wondering if gecko breeding is profitable in any way. All insite and info that you may have is greatly needed.

Thanks
Travis

reptile16hunter
01-07-2003, 03:54 PM
the big time breeders have like 1000 geckos
i was talking to golden gecko at a show once and at that time he said he had ruffly around 900 leopards
and he does crestys fatys and other ocasianal stuff

but as i was told i will tell you if you are in for a profit get out n get out now cause it takes a long time to make a dime
because u need housing and food and supplys for each gecko

trust me its extreammly hard to get any thing going
things die and its nutz unless you have a decent amout to start up with go slowly and learn because other wise you wont take off ever

Uffern
01-07-2003, 04:17 PM
I agrre entirely with what is said above. Don't expect to break even for a couple of years, and that is if you do things right. I don't know first hand, but I would say if you are going to breed lizards, don't breed leo gex. Like Columbian Tegus, when the eggs hatch, there is no money in them. If I were you, I would get a regular job, and try breeding one male to one female, just once. See how that goes. Take the bst care you can of them. Make them impressively healthy. Slowly build a name for yourself. Get a steady, local, customer base, comprised of pet stores and individuals.

Last year, I was spending close to $200 a week just on 1/4" crickets (I breed bearded dragons). If all goes as planned (which it never does), I will be getting about 50,000 1/4" crix a week later this year.

Bottom line, for a while, you will lose money, and to breed on any sclae other than very small, it is a full time job.

reptile16hunter
01-07-2003, 05:03 PM
i learned first hand trust me i know exactly what you are thinking
but
guess what i didnt listen and i payed the price ultamatly considering my stuff that i breed didnt give fertal for 8 clutches
and then my chameleons died when the eather changed and they didnt get enough heat

and in a dition i have no money to even invest in a project because of my earge to be a kid and play in the go carts
and i gave the guy my wallet and a large tip

so i have no money to buy more stuff yet on the bright side i learned a valuable lesson

and the lesson is
"the people here may critisize you greatly but they are doing it cause they care and they are right almost all of them and if you dont listen you will lose money and respect"

leogex
01-07-2003, 05:42 PM
Thanks, you guys. I really appriciate your insite into the matter. I wasn't planning to have an extremely large business, it's more of a hobby anyway. I own about 25 leos at the moment all of which are healthy, fat, and flawless. I've heard breeding and selling animals for profit is a tough way to make money. I myself buy 3000 crickets and 3000 mealworms almost bi-weekly not to mention the prices of cage setups and heating. I really enjoy my leos and I like working with them. If I were to start selling leos, it would just be a small scale from home deal. I don't want to end up in debt either. Thanks for your comments and don't worry I won't quit my day job. LOL

Thanks
Travis Taylor

Rakell G
01-08-2003, 02:02 AM
3000 crix and 3000 mealies 2x a week?!?!?! for 25 leos?!?!

uhm........ are you eating them too by chance? lol.

reptile16hunter
01-08-2003, 06:28 PM
no way thats a good feeding for 25 leos
cause they eat like there is no to marra
and if he is gana start breeding they will need the extra fat

leogex
01-08-2003, 06:42 PM
Sure it sounds like quite a bit of crickets and mealies but these geckos can take down a dozen mealworms and some more crickets before they stop. Like mentioned before the breeding season is starting up soon and I want my females as fat as possible. They need the food for egg developement.

What can I say? I guess I'm just a generous guy. (LOL)

Travis

reptile16hunter
01-08-2003, 07:55 PM
in order to afford all that as a hobby you probly got a chunk a change of desent size to begin wit
have fun with your geckos
and if any one runs into an adoption for crestys or pictus or alike please let me know

leogex
01-08-2003, 08:16 PM
I'll let you know if I get any offers on either species. I always have liked cresteds too but never got to deep into them. I'll keep you posted if anything comes up. Thanks for all of your info.

Travis

reptile16hunter
01-09-2003, 04:44 PM
hopefully i will have money by then
i have a my b day comin up soon
so i will have money
and if any one wants to throw a deal at me for it its on feb 3rd
lol
if i were soo lucky
naw but ill probly get money again and will have the money but thatx keep me posted

Seamus Haley
01-10-2003, 01:08 PM
Anyone besides me remember this thread....

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=3699

It answers most of those questions about profit and breeding.

I also wonder if either of you happen to be one of the kids who participated in this thread...

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=1951

Because that would answer quite a few questions.

reptile16hunter
01-10-2003, 05:45 PM
i was the one thes post were about
and smart one did you just jump to conclusipons or did you actually read
cause if you didnt read you are a moreon
wait no you are a more off cause you have nothing turned on in your head
because what im telling leogex
is not to try to make profit yada yada yada
so grow up like i did
if i can learn that there isnt profit in somthing and to keep animals cause i love them
maybe its possable for you to learn not to jump to conclusions shot som1s hea doff then ask what you did later

Seamus Haley
01-10-2003, 06:07 PM
i was the one thes post were about
and smart one did you just jump to conclusipons or did you actually read

Yes... I know, the issues raised in that thread are virtually identical to many of the issues that would potentially be raised here however and it seemed fitting to link the two.

cause if you didnt read you are a moreon
wait no you are a more off cause you have nothing turned on in your head

... What?

maybe its possable for you to learn not to jump to conclusions shot som1s hea doff then ask what you did later

What conclusions did I jump to exactly?

I linked another related thread and asked a question about a third because one of the major antagonists has a history of altering names with great frequency and some of the issues were similar if not identical.

Since there's a pretty substantial chance that I misunderstood whatever it was that had been written there, if anyone can read... whatever language... that was and would like to correct any misimpressions I formed, I'd appreciate it.

Mario
01-12-2003, 02:20 AM
It's highly unlickly you will make any money breeding geckos. Actually you will problably loose alot. Breeding geckos is a hobby, and expensive hobby.