PDA

View Full Version : Go Airborne

repitat
01-08-2003, 11:59 AM
I know this may be a bit unrelated, but I just wanted to make a comment about my shipping experience. We are vivarium builders, many of you have seen us at shows or floating around the web somewhere. We specialize in custom vivairums. When we began, we didn't expect to encounter the shipping problems that we have found. UPS told us outright that they couldn't ship our product and guarantee that it would make it without damage. They wouldn't offer insurance either. FedEx said, "Sure, no problem", and then demolished the first one we sent through them. Finally we decided to try Airborne. They were our third choice, and also the only company that would ship oversized packages. I know Airborne has somewhat a bad rap in this industry, but I saw no choice than to give them a try, or spend an absolute fortune in other shipping means. Not only have I had no problems with damage or late arrivals, but on Monday they picked up 5 packages from us, 2 were due to arrive Thursday, and 2 on Friday. All 5 packages are out for delivery today (Wednesday). Four of the five packages are a day or two early. Yeah! Go Airborne

Thank you for listening!

Ron Billingsley
01-09-2003, 09:56 AM
I to have used all three of the large carriers. And hands down, Airborne has done the best job with delieveries. I don't know if it is because of my local carriers (Indiana) or the company as a whole. UPS has lost packages, delayed delievery for two or three days. Fedex has accepted packages, and at times refused packages, has lost shipments, and has had numerous day delays. As of this posting, I have not had one problem with Airborne Express, and I have shipped 57 packages in the past three months.

ksshane
01-09-2003, 10:20 AM
I have heard good, and bad about airborne. I will just tell you about an experience I personally witnessed.
First I just want to say that Airborne must do things different in all parts of the country.
Here in Wichita Ks. the delivery guys drive around in little S10 pickups with toppers on the bed of the trucks, and if you are not home they will just through your package in the back of the truck, and finish their deliveries, and if they have time they will stop back by after they are done, and see if you are home.
Last January I was at an exotic pets store when their animals arrived. I guess the driver had showed up before they had opened, and since know one was there he through their packages in the back of the truck, and finished his deliveries. Even though the box was marked with live animals, and was also marked not to allow under a certain temp.
The employees of the store, some other customers, and I helped open the boxes, and as you can guess. All of the animals where pretty much frozen. Some of the animals we were able to warm up slowly by holding them in our hands, but then other animals. Like a group of Tokay geckos where all huddled up in a ball frozen together.

Later on, I found out that this wasn't the first time that this had happened with this driver, and that the pet store had called the Airborne main office to complain, but obviously it didn't help.

Of course I dont think Airborne is ran like that in other parts of the country, but I know it is here.

Just my .02

repitat
01-09-2003, 10:38 AM
Wow, Shane, I can't believe the way that guy cares for the packages that he's entrusted with. Wait a minute, yes I can, especially after what I saw FedEx drivers do to my vivarium and base! I 'spose they're all really the same. They (courier services) have good drivers and bad drivers. Just makes me real glad I don't have to ship animals, only product. You can rebuild a vivarium and base, but certainly can't rebuild an animal.

ksshane
01-09-2003, 10:44 AM
I also meant to add that Airborne does have regular delivery trucks here (we also have running water, and color TV...LOL), and Im not sure why they have S10 pickups. But I do know that anytime that this particular pet store gets a delivery from Airborne. It is always a guy driving those little trucks.

Ron Billingsley
01-09-2003, 10:44 AM
Two topics of interest here:
1st Topic: Sending a package/recieving a Package
If I am expecting delivery of a package, I make sure someone, either myself or a family member is here to accept said delievery. I never take chances on this issue. If you know something was shipped, and not make arrangments for it's "safe" delivery, well all I see here is a MAJOR PROBLEM with either the animals being left outside in the enivorment (either to hot or to cold), or like was metioned in the aboved post, being tossed around in the back of a vehicle all day, or at it's worst, being sent back to the hub for you to come and fetch.
When sending packages, I make sure, I even STRESS this point: Have someone home to accept delievery. How can I, the seller of said animals gurantee them to you the reciever, if they have been sitting outside in the snow for four hours? Or sitting on the front porch in 95 degree weather (110 in the shade)?? I believe this is the sole reason almost every seller of reptiles that uses these over night carriers says NO GURANTEES and to be honest, can you blame them? Now, I know some folks ship some sorry animals, but that is for another thread.
2nd Topic Regional Differences in the Same Company
What I am trying to say here, is YES I believe that these large companies have different SOP's (standard operationing proceures). I have had FEDEX tell me point blank, we do not, under any circumatances ship reptiles, only to have two shippments arrive the folling day via Fedex!!!
Airborne Express is the little guy, when it comes to this business of shipping. My personal opion is they want the buisness, at least in my area. Most of the drivers that arrive here for pick ups know me by name, and we chat about such things as the weather, fishing or how the Colts suck (NFL football team).
They always arrive by the set time in those new shinny large trucks of theirs, and never, never have I recieved a shipment here later then 10am!! A perfect score.
What happens in Tulsa, Tubbelow Mississippi or that Bum*uckegypt place I always here about I can't comment on, Just what happens here in my little pond.
Good day

ksshane
01-09-2003, 10:47 AM
Not to change the subject, but Fedex has told me the same thing about not shipping reptiles. Although I have received reptiles through them.

HerpMasters Inc.
01-09-2003, 10:50 AM
I have had good luck with shipments arriving from Airborne. They have always been on time and problem free. However shipping reptiles with Airborne can be difficult. In South Carolina, they would take anything I had and never asked a question. Here in Florida, they want to know everything in the package and threaten to open the package and check for themselves if they dont think you are telling the truth. I know their bylaws and I know that they can and will refuse snakes and lizards. They will accept tortoises and frogs but offer no insurance on them. So needless to say, I ship a lot of books and household goods from MKL Reptiles LOL. I figure that they are happy to bill me and take my money for the shipments I make on my corporate name, what do they think I will be shipping??????????? LOL

JasonBrennan
01-09-2003, 10:55 AM
Here are my two cents and experience with Airborne Express.

I have recieved packages twice from Airborne that were "lost" in transit.

I shipped a package, and it got "lost" in transit for FOUR DAYS!!

When I have called Airborne to track these shipments (the only info on the website was "shipment picked up and such and such time"), they could not even tell me if it had made it off the truck that picked it up!!

So, basiclly what I am saying is that I think Airborne sucks!

dwedeking
01-09-2003, 11:31 AM
While no carrier will ship reptiles as a standard, any carrier can issue a letter of exception to that rule (or any rule for that matter). I have this set up with UPS now and am in the process of getting it done with FEDEX (like everyone I didn't think they would until I talked with a local fish farm that uses FedEx).

A lot of the impression of a company's service relies on the final delivery person. I've had an airborne driver drop a box the last 18 inches to the floor on it's side when the box was clearly marked with arrows and live animal text. Got a blank stare when I asked if he was recently fired from McDonald's or Burger King for lack of ability to read. :(

Ron Billingsley
01-09-2003, 11:36 AM
And I bet that delievery guy will from now on, take special care of all your packages!!

REDDAWG43
01-09-2003, 03:23 PM
I just recently used Airborne and all went like clock work...
Not a single complaint from me...
With other shippers I had a few problems. So I guess I'll keep using Airborne. They have at least started with me on the right foot!!

MELVIN EFRECE

Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
01-09-2003, 03:54 PM
I've never shipped a reptile, but I have recieved shipments of reptiles 3 times from Airborne Express. All three to the same address. 1st time.......September 11, 2001. That box didn't make it onto the Air Force base I lived on (NO box was getting on a base that day) Called airborne and the lady found that box and made sure it was in her office and safe until I could come and get it. Good Job. 2nd delivery, no problem, right to my door in a timely fashion. Good Job.

The 3rd one though. I was at home (As always when expecting reptiles) and had the front door open (Screen closed) and was anxiously waiting for my box. At about 3:00 pm I began to get anxious and looked out my front door to find my box sitting on my step for God knows how long in the sun, in the middle of the Majove desert. I am SURE no one rang my bell or knocked on my door as my dog would have barked. Luckily the snakes were fine, but I was pretty mad.

I think its a craps shoot on the driver. Could be good, could be parbroiled or frozen snakes.

Adam Block
01-09-2003, 07:41 PM
What do you guys make of this? I just got this email and I find it a little odd I've been using FedEx 5 years and have just gotten this after the whole KS thing went down. Anybody have any thoughts?

Mr. Block,
It has come to my attention that you are shipping Live Reptiles via
FedEx. This is prohibited in accordance with the FedEx Service Guide.
Page 10. Prohibited Items. The FedEx Service Guide can also be found
online at www.fedex.com.

In addition, FedEx demands that Impact Reptiles immediately cease all
use of the FedEx/Federal Express logo or any other FedEx service mark or
trade mark. You must provide written confirmation that Impact Reptiles
has ceased all use and distribution of such materials. Your immediate
compliance with this demand is required. FedEx reserves all rights,
causes of action and remedies it may have in this matter.

James Brown
Paralegal
FedEx Corporation
3620 Hacks Cross Road
Building B-3rd Floor
Memphis, TN 38125
901.434.9255 fax
<<Brown, James S..vcf>>

Adam Block

Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
01-09-2003, 08:29 PM
THAT was mighty low. Whomever it was that "Notified" FedEx was expressly looking to destroy your business. I wonder if it was in fact this Jeff person or a lap dog that actually did the dirty work? Try not to fall to the temptation for a little pay back on this one Adam, you don't know who actually did it and no one wants to see this type of thing going on. Starting to feel a bit like the Godfather now..........someone is looking to make Impact reptiles "Sleep with the fishies"

Adam Block
01-09-2003, 09:16 PM
I agree with you 100%! At first it ticked me off very much.

I will say that since being banned, I haven't been able to pay one of my debts, I owe a few people money for pending deals, this includes Casey, Chad Martin, Frank Hayden and others. I understand there are other options out there but there are NO other options that move animals. If you look at the traffic to me site you will see:

Week 50 328

Week 51 249

Week 52 170

Week 01 84

Week 02 76

Since I was banned traffic has dropped A LOT and emails are gone. I'm not saying I won't get over it but I will say Jeff has the ability to take away 90% of a sellers income. If I do sell on other sites it will not be even close to the same prices.

I'm also not saying Jeff or somebody he knows reported me to FedEx. What I will say is that in 5 years of shipping with them I find it odd I've been banned within a month of my fallout with Jeff.

Of course I will be bigger then that, what else can you do? Without traffic and the ability to ship it makes things very hard.

Adam Block

WebSlave
01-09-2003, 09:57 PM
Adam,

Where else do you advertise?

I just checked and the ONLY advertisement you have on this site is that infamous list that got you in trouble on KS. Do you have advertisements on other sites? Are you on the FaunaTopSites links? Banner ads? Anything? How are people SUPPOSED to find you?

Heck you can always post something on rec.pets.herp and get some exposure there as well. I think that's where a lot of the raw newbies come into the internet, and certainly where a lot of sites got their starts.

Yeah it may be more effort without KS, but it can be done.

Heck, I'm tempted to put up a links page solely dedicated to KS outcasts. Well there's a project for you! Set it up and I'll put up a link for you. Probably be worth it in giggle value anyway. A kind of who's who of people whom have pissed off Jeff. KS-outcasts.com
:laugh:

gila7150
01-09-2003, 10:25 PM
Adam,
Have you checked in to that email to see if it's a hoax. The name of that paralegal has me wondering. (LOL)
I wonder if he works with Susan Smith;)

http://www.altocelebs.net/b/james-brown/c-001333-pi-106707.jpg

Chris Raden

WebSlave
01-09-2003, 11:04 PM
You know, Chris does have a point here. I doubt that FedEx would do anything in an official legal manner like that via email.

Adam check the header of that email and post it here so we can get someone to analyze it to try to figure out where it really came from.

Paralegal? Huh... I didn't know lawyers jumped out of airplanes voluntarily, like paratroopers.... I always thought they were thrown invountarily.... ;)

Darin Chappell
01-09-2003, 11:11 PM
And without chutes too, WebSlave. Don't forget the lack of chutes!

:kill:

Adam Block
01-10-2003, 01:27 AM
Rich, I'm working on other places to advertise, however, I will suffer from this and I had that understanding for 4 years, that's why I turned a blind eye for as long as I did. I don't get enough traffic on my site without ads. When I place ads on KS my traffic would go up by 400%. When I place ads other places I don't even notice a change in traffic.

As for the king of soul himself sending me that email. HOW MANY TIME DO I HAVE TO TELL YOU ALL!!!

I'm dumb not stupid! Big difference!

Return-path: <jsbrown2@fedex.com>
Received: from bright06. (bright06-qfe0.icomcast.net [172.20.4.161])
by msgstore02.icomcast.net
(iPlanet Messaging Server 5.2 HotFix 1.07 (built Nov 25 2002))
with ESMTP id <0H8G00EEBY357S@msgstore02.icomcast.net> for
adamblock@ims-ms-daemon; Thu, 09 Jan 2003 17:49:53 -0500 (EST)
Received: from mtain03 (bright-LB.icomcast.net [172.20.3.155])
by bright06. (8.11.6/8.11.6) with ESMTP id h09Mno202346 for
<@msgstore02.icomcast.net:adamblock@comcast.net>; Thu,
09 Jan 2003 17:49:51 -0500 (EST)
Received: from mx13.sac.fedex.com (mx13.sac.fedex.com [199.81.197.53])
by mtain03.icomcast.net
(iPlanet Messaging Server 5.2 HotFix 1.07 (built Nov 25 2002))
with ESMTP id <0H8G00H3DY302T@mtain03.icomcast.net> for adamblock@comcast.net
(ORCPT adamblock@comcast.net); Thu, 09 Jan 2003 17:49:49 -0500 (EST)
Received: from mx14.sac.fedex.com (mx14.sac.fedex.com [199.82.159.12])
by mx13.sac.fedex.com (8.12.3/8.12.3) with ESMTP id h09MnmAe073554 for
<adamblock@comcast.net>; Thu,
09 Jan 2003 16:49:48 -0600 (CST envelope-from jsbrown2@fedex.com)
Received: from legalnt10.legal.fedex.com
(legalnt10.legal.fedex.com [199.81.231.173])
by mx14.sac.fedex.com (8.12.3/8.12.3) with ESMTP id h09MnmMr074979 for
<adamblock@comcast.net>; Thu,
09 Jan 2003 16:49:48 -0600 (CST envelope-from jsbrown2@fedex.com)
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2003 16:51:49 -0600
Subject: Live Reptile Shipments
To: adamblock@comcast.net
Message-id: <DA48D011155BBF45B23F93D23AD2E6B21CB4A9@legalnt10.l egal.fedex.com>
MIME-version: 1.0
X-MIMEOLE: Produced By Microsoft Exchange V6.0.4712.0
Content-type: multipart/mixed; boundary="----_=_NextPart_001_01C2B831.B1E30045"
Content-class: urn:content-classes:message
Thread-topic: Live Reptile Shipments
Thread-index: AcK4MbHdoNKMiSGQSe2J33LoUMnRAw==
X-MS-Has-Attach:
X-MS-TNEF-Correlator:
Original-recipient: rfc822;adamblock@comcast.net

Also, I don't mean to brag but I'm no lawyer and I thought it was an odd email too.

Adam Block

repitat
01-10-2003, 09:18 AM
Adam,

I would call FedEx's main number and try to ask if they have such a person working for them. If they try to connect you, just say "no thanks" or hang up. That's probably the easiest way to go about it.

About the email address & origination, I don't know much about tracing emails, but I do know that FedEx generally uses firstname.lastname@fedex.com. Also, in my dealings with them over my damaged product, I have never received an email from them, even after I've sent them one (well, several actually). I've only received snail mail from them.

Hope this helps.

Rob Hill/Geckos Anonymous
01-10-2003, 10:40 AM
Just thought I'd bring this SLIGHTLY back on track. I have used Airborne before and had nothing but problems. Initially, they had NO problems whatsoever taking my live animal shipments. However, after my first and (hopefully) only DOA, I decided maybe they're not all that they're cracked up to be. The box was obviously damaged and the gecko inside did not make it through(he appeared to have a broken neck from the pics I saw and from what my customer told me). I complained, but nothing happened of course. Afterwards, I was told by my driver that they would no longer accept live animal shipments and I would have to label them as something else if I wanted to keep shipping htrough them(though he did say HE knew what I shipped and would take care of them as far along as he could). Well, this wasn't exactly acceptable, but unfortunately at the time I didn't realize what options I had and did a couple more shipments through them. But those were lost and in transit well over the 10 am delivery guarantee every time.
Obviously I no longer use them. UPS was surprisingly easy to deal with, though they would never send me anything in writing stating they were making an exception for me, so I could have lost my account at the drop of a dime if someone felt like it. However, after a couple of delayed packages, I am not going that route anymore.
FedEx has told me time and time again that anything smaller than a HORSE would not be shipped through them(yes, I am being serious, no animals smaller than a HORSE is what I was told). However, I was able to ship some geckos from one of their hubs without a problem(initially). The cost was $31 and I paid upfront with my debit card. It was approved, signed, handed them my box, no problems. However, about a week later, I received a $65 BILL from them with no explanations. They were paid for their services upfront based on the weight and size of my package(the box of GECKOS people;) ) and decided to double bill me later on. It still has not been resolved, and those animals were sent out back in October or November. Any company that tries to double dip me like that automatically goes into the "do not do business with" list.
That is why I will not ship anything until I get my approved shipper status with Delta. I have always been very happy with their service and handling on the packages I've received and I don't have to covertly ship my animals AND I have guarantees on them AND same day service. I know they have problems sometimes as well, but the instances seem to be FAR fewer than the other options.
And Adam, as far as your situation goes, unless you have something documenting you have permission to ship herps sent to you by FedEx, your hands are tied. BUT, I have never known ANY of the shipping companies to send e-mails, EVER. Even though UPS had my e-mail address on file, they NEVER used it. Airborne has NEVER contacted me that way, neither has FedEx. It has always been through a letter or phone call.

Python Dreams
01-10-2003, 01:23 PM
I'm located in Southern California and I tried to use Airbourne and was told that they do not except reptiles. As far as snakes go, is their any carrier that will except them for shipping without going against company policy (besides Delta or QuickPak)?
On a side note, I shipped out a Blizzard Lizard through U.S.P.S. to Connecticut that was supposed to arrive yesterday by 3:00pm, and at the same time I was supposed to receive an Albino Ball Python from Florida at 2:40pm. Both packages were lost!!! This was kinda stressful. U.S.P.S. worked well with the receiver and actually called her before they opened today and told her right when the package came in and let her pick it up then. The Blizzard was perfect and warm except for the poop stuck to her head! :-) Then Delta went out of the way and let me come in after they closed to pick up my python last night. I think they got stressed realizing that they lost a somewhat expensive package and they actually did everything they could. My new Albino Ball came in and once he warmed up a bit he is very active and very Beautiful!!!!! Thanks Cypress Creek!!!! At least both of the shipping companies realised how their was an animals life possibly at stake and went above and beyond to do what they could. Other than lose it in the first place!!! ;-)

Thanks, Tom Baker
tombaker22@cox.net

TWINSTATERPTILE
02-06-2003, 07:43 PM
I JUST WANT EVERYONT TO KNOW !!!
I HAVE NOTICED A FEW PEOPLE MENTIONING THAT AIRBORNE WONT LET THEM SHIP REPTILE!! WELL THIS IS NOT TRUE.
MYSELF BEING A FORMER AIRBORNE EMPLOYEE. LOOKED INTO THIS WHEN I STARTED SHIPPING REPTILES. AND AIRBORNE HAS NO LIMITATIONS TO SHIPPING REPTILES, NO WHERE IN THE HANDBOOK DOES IT SAY NO REPTILE OR LIVE ANIMALS!!
SOME STATIONS MAY DISLIKE THE SITUATION BUT HAVE TO SHIP YOU ANIMALS. SO I JUST WANT EVERYONE TO KNOW THAT IF AIRBORNE DRIVER SAYS NO REPTILES HE IS WRONG CALL AIRBORNE YOURSELF AND TELL THEM WHAT THE DRIVER SAID.
WELL ONE MORE TIME AIRBORNE HAS TO SHIP REPTILES!!
THE ONLY CASE THEY CANT SHIP THEM IS IF IT IS A INTERNATIONAL SHIPMENT ACROSS SEAS!!!
THANKS FOR YOUR TIME
BRANDON DYKE
TWIN-STATE REPTILES