PDA

View Full Version : What is Tylan?

mxracer4life
10-02-2008, 04:02 PM
I read that "Tylan" can be used for respitory infections in reptiles (snakes). Is this true? I found a few sources online that suggested using this when a respitory infection is present. My snake(s) do not have a RI, but I like reading up on this stuff to be prepared if the power was to go out or something was to happen to bring one a long. In fact, to go along with the losing power story, I have a kerosene heater for back up :).

Jeremy

Drache613
10-04-2008, 08:41 PM
Hello Jeremy,

Tylan or Tylosin has been shown to be very effective & helpful with respiratory infections. As you know, sometimes respiratory infections can be stubborn & recurrent & medicating for long periods of time with Baytril can be harmful to their organs.
Tylan is a good alternative. It is an antibiotic which is used to treat Mycoplasma infections in different animals, including reptiles. However, the advantages are toxicities & side effects are rare.

I hope this helps out.

Tracie

Bill Stonegate
10-06-2008, 12:08 AM
OK, guys, I hate to be The Grinch here.

If you have to ask what Tylan is, you should not consider using it. There is much information available, if you would like to know more about reptile pharmacology.

Best of luck, but please don't go injecting strong drugs into hapless animals, based on what someone told you on an internet forum

Cat_72
10-06-2008, 12:37 AM
I have to kind of agree with Bill....with any infection, you are really better off getting a culture done at the vets to find out exactly what you are dealing with, but you can treat with a broad-spectrum antibiotic while waiting for the culture to come back. With a mild RI, simple environmental changes can often be enough to shape the animal up, and the overuse of antibiotics in general is a very bad idea.

From what I have been told (again, ask YOUR vet)...Baytril is a good first step, but the Tylan can be the next step if the infection doesn't respond to Baytril.

There are several discussions about Tylan already in this forum....a quick link to one I specifically remembered:

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81144&highlight=Tylan

Bill Stonegate
10-06-2008, 10:11 PM
OK, guys, I hate to be The Grinch here.

If you have to ask what Tylan is, you should not consider using it. There is much information available, if you would like to know more about reptile pharmacology.

Best of luck, but please don't go injecting strong drugs into hapless animals, based on what someone told you on an internet forum

Guess I should clarify that post.

If your animal has been prescribed a course of Tylan, by your vet, and you are trained in the dosages, injection technique, etc., then I don't have a problem with it.

It's like asking a question about Calculus, when you clearly don't comprehend Algebra.

Not trying to be arrogant here, and I wish these folks the best keeping reptiles. Honestly, no offense intended.

“Primum non nocere” (above all else, do no harm)." - Hippocrates

mxracer4life
10-07-2008, 08:44 AM
I appreciate some of your answers. I am by no means going to be injecting anything into my snake, nor did I lead on that I would. I am just trying to find out more about this stuff. Thank you.

Jeremy

Bill Stonegate
10-08-2008, 04:55 AM
I appreciate some of your answers. I am by no means going to be injecting anything into my snake, nor did I lead on that I would. I am just trying to find out more about this stuff. Thank you.

Jeremy

I was not implying that you would, Jeremy. You need to remember that a lot of people read these posts. Misuse of antibiotics is a a huge problem.

I applaud your quest for knowledge on this subject, but as I said before, an internet forum is not the best way for a beginner to learn about it.

There is much good information on the subject, if you are willing to look for it.

mxracer4life
10-08-2008, 09:02 AM
I didn't mean to lash out at you Bill. Yesterday was not a good day, I apologize. I didn't look at it that way. I know more about it than I tell myself, the bad thing about me is I need people to agree (back me up) with me. My confidence is low I guess. I thank you all for taking the time to answer my question.

Bill Stonegate
10-09-2008, 03:21 PM
I didn't mean to lash out at you Bill. Yesterday was not a good day, I apologize. I didn't look at it that way. I know more about it than I tell myself, the bad thing about me is I need people to agree (back me up) with me. My confidence is low I guess. I thank you all for taking the time to answer my question.

No worries, Buddy. Here's a link to help get you started.

http://www.snakegetters.com/demo/vet/books.html