PDA

View Full Version : Books

jdg
01-16-2003, 11:15 PM
I know there's a world of information on the internet, but in my mind, nothing beats good old-fashioned books. What are your book recommendations? Anything pertaining to pythons applies here - general care, species-specific information, natural history, etc.

The book I've found most helpful in general is Keeping and Breeding Snakes by Chris Mattison.

BrianB
01-29-2003, 06:33 PM
Check out the book section of www.herpsupplies.com

They have a good selection, including good prices on the AVS series.

Personally, I have the edition prior to the current one of the Ball Python Manual, and the current Boa Constrictor Manual, and both are pretty solid books. I have the TFH Keeping and Breeding Snakes, which has some decent info, but which seems a bit dated.

Next book I intend to get is The Reproductive Husbandry of Boas and Pythons, which I've heard good things about.

meretseger
01-30-2003, 09:01 AM
Ooh, I want that book too! I'm glad to hear it's good, I always worry about wasting 35 odd bucks on a sucky book.
I haven't really found any general husbandry books that stand out yet, although Snakes: The Evolution of Mystery in Nature is an excellent one on natural history. I also have one called the Encyclopedia of Snakes (has a hairy bush viper on the cover) that's really good.