PDA

View Full Version : Automatic watering systems for mouse cages...

WebSlave
01-22-2003, 09:43 PM
We are considering putting in an automatic watering system for our mouse colony and are looking for info on prices, reliability, etc. The nightly replenishment of the water bottles is getting old. We are using standard lab style cages and want to add a watering system to what we already have.

We have nearly 500 cages arranged on 4 racks.

Anyone have any info or know of a URL I could visit to give me some information on this sort of thing? Best case scenario would be someone nearby to Tallahassee, FL to install this for me, but I know that is just a pipe dream.

Thanks for any help you all can give me.

gcsreptiles
01-24-2003, 08:18 PM
Hey Rich,

Here are a couple of links to places that sell automatic watering systems and supplies.

http://www.agselect.com/ED/Features.cfm?DID=11&QADID=1

http://www.edstromdirect.com/ED/webpage.cfm?&DID=7&WebPage_ID=10

Sorry, I don't know anyone near Tallahassee :).

Take Care!

WebSlave
01-24-2003, 09:36 PM
Thanks Gene.

I'm still not sure which way I am going to bounce on this. I'm looking at complete rodent racks such as Freedom Breeders as well. I may take out an entire section of cages and put in some prefab racks with auto watering instead. I bought a bunch of polycard (supposedly!) cages from Maryland Plastics years ago and nearly all of them are disintegrating. So since I have to replace those bottoms anyway, I might just as well put that money towards something else.

But I am still weighing my options.

NEWReptiles
02-01-2003, 07:16 PM
I bought Freedom breeder rodent racks a few months ago and have had quite a few problems with sticky valves. I now use the FB racks as spares and holding bins. I use big water bottles for my mice, and 2 huge bottles for my rats and they last at least 10 days. Now all I do is fill water bottles every week.

Oh Yeah, I havent had the freedom breeder rodent racks for very long, about 5-6 months. but have had at least 10-12 occasions where the valves stuck and let watter seap into the bins.

Mark and Aimee
04-15-2003, 09:46 PM
Hey Rich, if you buy the parts, I'll swing over to Tallahassee to help you install it LOL... I'm stuck in Panama City for the next 4.5 months or more...

Mark