PDA

View Full Version : Why USARK?

The_Boaphile
02-10-2009, 10:25 AM
Hello,

On January 30, 2008, US Fish and Wildlife issued a Notice of Inquiry (NOI). US Fish and Wildlife sought information regarding Boa, Python, and Eunectes genera for possible addition to the list of injurious wildlife under the Federal Lacey Act. If these species were to be added and regulated under the Lacey Act, it would become a Felony to sell or to ship a Ball Python across state lines. This is the first step in a possible rule change that would in effect shut down all aspects of the Boa, Python and Eunectes trade.

This NOI was the impetus that inspired the establishment of The United States Association of Reptile Keepers or USARK. A meeting of a number of the “who’s who” in the Reptile Industry gathered for a meeting organized by Brian Potter and Bob Ashley in Chicago. We brought together a wide range of ideas for positive and deliberate action to protect, not only the rights of Boa and Python keepers, but all Reptile keepers alike. Make no mistake, a move to limit the free exercise of our right to keep, breed, and sell Boas and Pythons is only the first step. The ultimate goal of some who are in favor of such additional regulation is to prevent the keeping of all Reptiles and Amphibians. If they are successful, your animals could be next. As such, we are all constrained to act.

The US Association of Reptile Keepers (USARK) is a science and education based advocacy for the responsible private ownership of, and trade in Reptiles. We endorse caging standards, sound husbandry, escape prevention protocols, and an integrated approach to vital conservation issues. Our goal is to facilitate cooperation between government agencies, the scientific community, and the private sector in order to produce policy proposals that will effectively address important husbandry and conservation issues. The health of these animals, public safety, and maintaining ecological integrity are our primary concerns.

USARK is a grass roots organization that seeks to enlist the many thousands of Reptile keepers all over the United States to have a part in protecting the hobby we all enjoy. USARK seeks to create a Federation of established Herpetological Societies, forums and social networking sites across the country. We all need to join hands with our mission to gain members for the purpose of giving real people a real voice and a part in protecting our hobby. USARK is already working on local legislative issues in a couple specific problem areas. USARK seeks first to help with the issues that are of a local interest to hobbyists all over the country. Our ability to provide this help is directly related to the participation and memberships of like minded people, businesses, and institutions all over our country. We need and ask for your support.

The NOI did not go unanswered, as many responded using the Federal Register to answer the information that US Fish and Wildlife requested. But the work is not complete. We must all lock elbows with the goal of protected what we have all taken for granted, before the NOI was issued. USARK is committed to the accurate communication of scientific information to the US Fish and Wildlife Service. After all, the science is clearly on our side, but science alone will not assure the preservation of our right to keep and breed Reptiles. The most important next step is for USARK to get the word out to the thousands of folks that care about this issue.

Make no mistake, the assault on Pythons and Boas is only the beginning. The groups who are in favor of the legislation that threatens the Python and Boa trade are opposed to keeping any Reptiles whatsoever as pets. They seek to incrementally dismantle the hobby. If they are successful, the Pythons and Boas will fall first. Then they will go after the keepers of Bearded Dragons, Leopard Geckos and colubrids of all kinds. In fact a bill working its way through the US House of Representatives, called HR 669, seeks to outlaw the trade in all non-native species except farm animals, cats, dogs and Gold Fish. That takes most everything out of everyone’s hands. This is a very real threat and one that if you do not help protect your freedom to keep these critters, you may very well loose that right. Take this very seriously as we are. However, there is hope.

This is where you can be of great assistance. First you can join USARK. There is strength in numbers and right now what we need to do is build this grass roots base of folks that take the Herp Hobby seriously who are willing to write a letter, or make a phone call to preserve our freedom to engage in our chosen enterprises. So please join. This will enable you to get notification the moment we have any news of any type to let you know about. We are all concerned about our futures and what better way to direct your future than to take a direct hand in steering it?

http://www.usark.org/join.php

Next we have created a number of banners that can be placed on web sites of all kinds. For anyone who chooses to become a member and support USARK, we have a set of banners that you can proudly display on your website, forum signature or anywhere you choose. This so everyone can see that you too are an active supporter of our right to continue our respective Reptile hobbies. Feel free to resize any of these images as you wish. We have also written the code for you, which is necessary to post those banners that link to the USARK.org web site.

http://usark.org/banners.php

If you have further questions you can certainly see and explore our web site at the following link:

USARK.ORG: http://www.usark.org/index.php

Thank you,

Mooing Tricycle
02-10-2009, 11:04 AM
Ill be joining as soon as i have a chance!

draigen
02-13-2009, 06:03 PM
i'm right there behind ya moo :)

cahrens
02-14-2009, 06:37 AM
I joined USARK several months ago. As soon as I heard that it existed I was all over it. It never ceases to amaze me how many people complain about liberties being taken away but they don't do anything about it. Here's an organized group who's fighting for our interests. Come on people. Stop doing nothing. It's time to be heard.

Eric@RacksAndReptiles.com
02-20-2009, 03:04 PM
for the short time that i have been keeping reptiles i could not emagin ever being without them. it has turned in to so much more than JUST a hobby for me. STAND UP AND FIGHT. "WE LOVE OUR ANIMALS LEAVE US B".

cahrens
02-25-2009, 03:02 AM
Here's the latest e-mail I got from USARK. It's nice to see an organization that's on our side for once.

USARK Introduces Landmark Legislation into NC Senate

In a major reversal of the trend started by the Animal Rights Movement 9 years ago to BAN many reptiles at the State and Local level, USARK has introduced their Model Legislation in North Carolina. If passed Senate Bill 307 (S307) will require caging standards, safety protocols, escape prevention, and registration for venomous, large constrictors and crocodilians, but will allow individuals to maintain their right to work with these animals into perpetuity. This is a truly historic and precedent setting event. This is the first time the Herp Community has actually stood up and done something for themselves... by themselves! Now that we have begun, let us not lose our momentum. USARK, together with YOU, will actively work to secure our collective futures at the Local, State and national levels.
This has set ground breaking precedent for other states to follow. Virginia has already indicated that they want to introduce similar legislation in the 2010 Legislative Session. The Herp Community, through USARK, has taken it's destiny into it's own hands. No longer will we stand idly by and watch our rights disappear. Remember this day for we are making history and securing our own futures.

Tiger Lilly
02-25-2009, 02:58 PM
Yay for us! I'll be joining shortly as well.

Dennis Hultman
04-08-2009, 11:36 AM
Bump...