PDA

View Full Version : Weather Patterns and Husbandry

jdg
02-10-2003, 01:44 AM
I have a Jungle Carpet Python. Most care sheets recommend these being kept at a daytime ambient temp of 80+ degrees with a basking area of 90 degrees and nighttime ambient temperatures a few degrees cooler but no lower than 72 degrees.

I was curious and looked online for weather patterns in the Atherton Tableland area of Australia. I found this site: http://atherton-tableland.com/Weather%20Conditions%20at%20Chambers.htm. The temperatures given for highs and lows on that site indicate a much cooler climate than what is usually recommended in captivity. So now I'm curious... How is it that husbandry requirements are figured? If JCPs natural habitat is so cool do they actually do better at warmer temps in captivity? And if so, why?

I'm looking for any information to help me understand why the recommendations for keeping these snakes and the native habitat seem so different. If my basic information is wrong, please tell me. And I'm curious as to any possible answers, whether they be in general or related specifically to JCPs.