PDA

View Full Version : pinworms in feeders

jh15394
09-05-2009, 10:06 AM
I have many rats and mice and they have pinworms as well as my snakes. I can cure the snakes with panacur but how can i get rid of the pinworms in the feeders as they are the cause of the pinworms in the snakes. Any medication that could be used on a hundred or so feeders would be greatly appreciated.:shrug01:
Thanks In Advance

JordanAng420
09-08-2009, 09:11 PM
Panacur can be used with mice and rats too. I cannot give the dosage to you over the internet, as legally the medication needs to be dispensed by a veterinarian that has a relationship with you. If I gave you a dose and the animal died afterwards, how can I be sure it wasn't because of advice I gave without doing a proper physical exam first?

I'm sure that if you brought a collective stool sample (meaning you take all the stool samples and put them together) to your herp vet (assuming you have one) he/she could give you the correct dewormer with the proper dosage. Most herp vets see small mammals as well.

As of right now, I would go ahead and isolate the animals with intestinal parasites. Get a few feeders you know to be "clean" and use those for the time being...also, depending on the species of pinworm, you need to be careful, as these parasites are zoonotic.

HyderHouseHerps
09-08-2009, 10:26 PM
Pinworms are very common in feeders. Just practice good hygeine (handwashing, gloves) to protect yourself and if you want to get rid of them, I wish you best of luck! You are going to have to deworm each individual animal whether it be oral or injectible. I don't think there is any dewormer that gets pinworms in a "feed" form, it's all dosage based on weights.
If you have a herp vet, I bet they'd be more than willing to help you estimate weights and figure out the best way to dose a large group of animals. I'd also cease breeding until you get all the breeder animals clean.