PDA

View Full Version : Shipping question I hope this goes here

Iguanachic
03-23-2003, 05:04 PM
I am moving and have to sell my large pair of blackthroat monitors.The female is well over 5 foot and the male is at 3 anda half.I ahve been trying to sell locally and lowered my price considerably(only asking $300.00 for them and cages) because I cant imagie how to ship them.I am in PA in the country and cant imagin what someone at FedEx or anywhere would say about shipping them.I havent had the greatest response here and I have to find them a new home.How would I ship them as far as heat packs and boxing?The female can break plexiglass with her tail so I dont know what to use to hold her.Any help would be greatly appreciated.Thanks

Hlynn1975
03-24-2003, 08:05 AM
You'd have to build yourself some sort of wooden crate, I can't think of anything else that could safely hold somthing that big. Shipping you'd probably have to do Delta, I don't htink fedex or ups would take something that big.

Do you know of any shows in your area? Maybe you could get a table, take the monitors and their cage and sell them there. The price of the table would likely be less than building a crate and shipping it.

HTH

Heather

herpetological
04-08-2003, 11:50 PM
You can build a wooden crate reasonably cost effective and strong. We would use the following: 1/4-1/2" plywood or panel. 2 pieces 18"x30-36" Use 1x4 or 1x6 for the sides. Screw the sides and bottom panel together.Do not use nails, they can vibrate or work lose. Screws about 4" apart from panel to 1x's. (Drywall self tappers) Make sure you have airholes or slats cut in the 1x sides. Place the animals in a DOUBLE bag. insert into the box. Insert heat packs and packing material. (May need styro sides and heat packs if very cold) Screw down lid and mark box as to contents and destination. Sounds like a lot of work but it takes about 20-30 minutes for the whole procedure. Ray Goushaw Herpetological Breeding Research