PDA

View Full Version : Dart frogs and Geckos?

loggman88
03-23-2003, 05:38 PM
I have a really nice setup with a lot of planted plants (all safe) and a fogger and nice moss in a large tank. I was wondering if I could keep some dart frogs (ive had a little experience with keeping them) in the same tank as my crested geckos, I have always wanted to have kind of an eco-system tank like this.

Bluemind
02-03-2004, 08:12 PM
It would be way to stressfull for the frogs from what I heard so I think it's a bad Idea.

andreas
02-08-2004, 06:58 AM
Hi! I have read about suksesfull keeping of the poison dart frog and geco's. But i dont know if it is possible with any kind of geco's.
However the geco keep't together with the frog was a L. Lugubris. pretty small geco. Nice specie indeed.(It's of course very important that the clima needs for each specie you keep together is matching so they won't suffer in wrong clima conditions). I plan to build up a terrarium with poison dart frog, L lugubris and some fish. Nice little co existing sosity.

Here is some wery good sites about the L Lugubris (http://home.t-online.de/home/0648491061-0001/en/home_en.html) and Poison dart frogs (http://www.saurian.net/htm/dartfrogs1.htm) .
Do some serious reading before starting up this eco system.
Good Luck! :)

Seamus Haley
02-08-2004, 11:29 AM
Since the original poster specified that they already had the cresteds, the answer is an emphatic "No."

Cresteds get decent size... not leachie sized monsters, but good sized for an arboreal gecko, fairly thick and heavy bodied, good sized head. Most dart frogs would represent a potential meal, even the few species too large to be eaten would likely end up chewed on if they moved at the wrong time, feeding instincts are tough to countermand. Obviously no good for the frogs and potentialy no good for the geckos, depending on what the frogs have been eating and how much skin might end up swallowed.

pleytes
02-17-2005, 04:33 PM
Don't do it it would lead to froggie death. I have seen even smaller phelsuma take a leg from a dart frog. and te temparature and humitity is usually not the same.