PDA

View Full Version : Australian Water Dragon Adults

Physignathus
11-30-2009, 05:54 PM
I might be willing to let a few of my AWD's go if the right offer comes along. These are pets from my personal collection and not breeders. I will accept offers for them if I can not only sell for a reasonable price but adopt them to a GOOD HOME! Meaning that I am not selling my animals to someone who cannot properly care from them, or to someone just looking to breed them or resell them. I'm looking to adopt them to someone who wants one for a pet. I will only sell them after doing an interview about the setup, experience, and plans for them. The ones I am thinking about letting go are 2 males and 1 female that were all hatched in October 2007. None of them have been bred yet, but will be ready to next year. I have the paperwork for a clean bill of health from their most recent vet visit and all 3 are parasite free. Very friendly and tame with people too, have pictures of them eating out of my hands. I may also start breeding next year if anyone is interested in babies.

Physignathus
12-01-2009, 03:39 PM
The smaller male

Physignathus
12-01-2009, 03:44 PM
Larger male

Physignathus
12-01-2009, 03:48 PM
Female

nivek5225
12-03-2009, 09:49 PM
Why are you getting rid of them? Do you have any videos of them, specifically of you handling/interacting with them? That would be a good way to get a good idea of their size, and temperment. That larger male is awesome! I would really love to get him along with the female possibly. Did you hatch these yourself?

Physignathus
12-04-2009, 01:41 PM
That's the thing, I'm not sure yet if I am getting rid of them. It all depends on whether I can find a good home for them. I really don't want to, but it would make my living situation a lot easier as a very large portion of my paycheck goes to their care and their new tank upgrades set me back a lot. I was hoping to breed them this year and make back some of the money I've spent on their care by selling the babies, but I wasn't fully comfortable with breeding them yet as I wanted to be in a more stable financial situation first in the worst case scenario something happened and I didn't have a backup plan. I don't know how to upload videos, but I'll take some pictures of them doing what you requested. I didn't hatch them myself, but bought the female in October 2007 when she was just a few weeks old, and purchased the two males from the same breeder the following year. I'll measure and weigh them for you too. As for temperament, they all have their own personalities. I could talk for hours about their funny little quirks, haha. :P

Physignathus
12-06-2009, 11:19 AM
So were you still interested? I don't mind if you do want to breed them, I was planning on breeding the larger male and the female next year if I don't sell them to see if the female's orange stomach would be passed to her offspring. I trust you would be a good candidate for adoption because you are interested in seeing their interaction with people. I think I might have scared away any people that were looking by saying that I am hoping for someone who wants to adopt them instead of just selling them for the first nice offer lol. I know that is what this website is mainly for, but I see them as part of the family so this is hard to think about. Do you have any experience with Australian water dragons? They are a very low maintenance lizard, also being more resistant to a greater range of temperature. If you were interested in breeding them they will have a greater chance of success if they are brumated. The males have hibernated every winter, and both attempted copulation with the female during the summer when I placed them together. However, I seperated them as she would turn very dark in color whenever they "harassed" her. I would not recommend keeping the male and female together for extended periods of time because it definatley did seem to stress her out. The two males get along fine together though and have never fought unless food or the female is present. I have only seen them bob their heads at eachother so far because I keep their cages next to eachother. Also an amazing trait about this species is that they can be hatched according to temperature based sex determination. The breeder that I got them from is actually the one who discovered that.

albinoball
12-06-2009, 05:23 PM
So what cage size would you recommend for one of your males?

R. Eventide
12-07-2009, 09:13 PM
You have gorgeous Aussie water dragons! They're beautiful and clearly well taken care of!!

Man, if only I hadn't spent so much on reptiles already this year.... I eventually want to get a pair of Aussie water dragons, but they're so hard to find....

Is the smaller male younger or just small for an adult?

Well, I shouldn't spend the money on more critters, but if you decide you need to sell them to make ends meet, feel free to PM me. I'm sure I could work something out. If you keep them and have babies next year, I would love some!

Physignathus
12-07-2009, 09:55 PM
They are currently housed in 75 gallon custom built tanks, but will need larger ones when they get a bit older. The recommended minimum size on a breeder's website is 2'x4'x2' (BxLxH). Right now the larger male is 24 inches, the female is about 23 inches, and the smaller male is 22 inches (all are measured snout to tail tip). They can get up to 3 feet as full grown adults. They usually just sit in their basking spot all day, but keep in mind they love to climb and need a large water dish that they can completely submerge themselves in and swim a little. The "smaller male" is just a bit shorter in length and his head isn't as thick. I suspected that he was younger, but he has all of his secondary sex characteristics (which aren't really out yet in yearlings). He might have been hatched a few months later or something, I'm not exactly sure. He's also missing a toe as you can see in the picture, but it doesn't affect him in any way. They were all housed together by the breeder, so I'm guessing it was bit off or something.

nivek5225
12-08-2009, 12:41 AM
Were you wanting to sell them all together? Or would you sell just 2? Were you able to get any pictures of you holding them? That bigger male really has some red though, he looks great! Someone near me has a couple 2 year olds that came from Agama that he is selling, but aren't really showing their red yet. Depending on their temperment, i might get a pair from him. Either way, I wouldn't be able to get yours or his for a little while, until I build an enclosure for them... I'm really looking for a nice pair to breed, but also to be pets. They would be handled and interated with daily. Just like my other reptiles. Did you need to get rid of these quick, or would you wait a little while? And do you have any idea of what you are looking for to get for them?

R. Eventide
12-08-2009, 01:50 AM
Careful of Agama International, Kevin. Bert Langerwerf passed away a little while back, and his family is selling everything with, it seems to me, little regard for the animals themselves. This is just what it appears to me, though, so definitely check it out for yourself first.

Ohh, yeah, I forgot the males actually tolerate each other! Nice!

There's a really nice metal screen cage at LLLreptile.com I'd get for them. It's 2 x 2 x 4 ft (tall) cage (for their climbing pleasure), and most of the bottom would be a pool...with plenty of climby branches and maybe a hammock or two. I might try putting live plants in there, though they'll probably just dig them up. Hee hee.

Physignathus
12-08-2009, 01:58 AM
I was lucky enough to get my female before Bert passed, and the males right after when I found out they were selling off their stock. (These 2 males were actually the last ones that they had for sale besides the breeding groups.) He was extremely helpful and really an amazing guy, he answered all of my questions and walked me through my first purchase of an Australian water dragon. I instantly became addicted haha! I had an unfortunate experience with a Chinese water dragon from a pet store, and never looked back. I eventually hoped to follow in Bert's footsteps and begin breeding them to replace their Chinese cousins in the pet trade, and make them cheaper and more readily available like he was doing. If I had the money to buy their farm I would in a heartbeat, haha. But my dreams will have to wait. I have heard about them going downhill though, the 2 males just had some scale rot but I was fortunate enough to be able to get that cleared up quickly. I was wondering about the fact that your friend has dragons that are the same age as mine and don't show any color yet, I am assuming his are all female then. I'll take some more pics and post them tomorrow of them being held and interacted with. Been working a lot the past few days and have just had time to pop on.

nivek5225
12-08-2009, 10:25 PM
Would you split them up, or would you only want to sell all 3 of them together? And do you have an idea of what you were looking for to get for them?

TeguTerra03
12-09-2009, 09:49 AM
I am interested in the larger male how much 100 shipped let me know thanks

Physignathus
12-09-2009, 02:11 PM
They don't have to all go together, I fine with splitting them up. But I think that one of the males and the female would make good breeders together since they are the same age. If I don't sell then I was planning on breeding them next year, so remember babies are always a possibility. The female has a bright orange stomach which is rare in this species, so I'm curious as to whether it passes to offspring. I paid about $250 for each shipped, so I'm looking to atleast make that back. Keep in mind they are young adults with their secondary sex characteristics too, which is pretty hard to come by. (Atleast I wasn't able to find many sexed individuals for sale.)

Physignathus
12-09-2009, 07:27 PM
Here's some more pics as requested. Hopefully this gives a better size and color reference. I'll get some pics of the female up tomorrow, she's currently at my boyfriend's house. Here's male 1.

Physignathus
12-09-2009, 07:39 PM
Male 2

nivek5225
12-09-2009, 07:43 PM
That male really is awesome! If i were to take them, I would want the larger male with the female. It's so tempting to just take them now lol but i don't have an enclosure ready for them that is big enough. I'll be building one that will be about 6ft tall by 4ft long for the both of them... Or another pair if someone else grabs yours sooner. I just know I won't be able to find any that are this old with that good a temperment as yours. Their temperments are really important to me because they would be "pets" along with breeding them.

nivek5225
12-09-2009, 07:45 PM
The smaller male actually looks pretty good too now that i see more pics!

sarabellum
12-11-2009, 12:16 AM
How much would you be asking for the male and female pair that you were planning to breed? I already have custom built enclosure.

carpenter1849
12-11-2009, 04:50 AM
I have a modified vision
wanted a aussie after having a chinese for years never could get one tried AGI
but was iffy to go with them will you ship ?
are they eating insects everyday?

carpenter1849
12-14-2009, 06:06 AM
HOW ABOUT 440 FOR THE BIG MALE &THE FEMALE
LET ME KNOW IF YOU WANT TO WORK OUT A DEAL

LadyVenom
12-14-2009, 10:39 PM
I am interested in the smaller male. How much are you looking for for him? Also, where in NJ are you, because I could possibly come to pick him up to avoid shipping in the cold. PM me when you have the chance. Thanks!

nivek5225
01-18-2010, 07:35 PM
What ever happened here? Did you sell them, keep them?

brokenbluetears
02-19-2010, 10:21 AM
what would you take for the bigger male and the female? i haven't had experience with water drahons yet, but ive got great experience with iguanas and bearded dragons, and i've been told iguanas aren't an easy pet. lol

snakedaddy79
02-24-2010, 01:54 PM
wow beautiful dragons id love to get a pair i have a 125 gallon tank open right now if they are still aval.