PDA

View Full Version : Warning!!This could happen to your pet!!

Silly Serpents
03-24-2003, 08:34 PM
One of my albino retics was seriously burned after being on a ZooMed heatmat.She only had that as a source of heat for 6 days.The burns were so severe that she had to go in for surgery.She needed 4-5" of her ventral scales removed as well as most of the muscle mass in that area.The only thing that literally kept her from falling apart was her inner wall.She of course needed stitches and is undergoing a long and painful healing process.She seems to be doing a lot better now as she has her appetite back but unfortunatly i was told by my vet not to feed her until she sheds a few more times.The body needs to develop more scar tissue to prevent anymore damage.Ever try to wrap a bandage on a snake???!Believe me it is not easy and the snake....well you get the idea.I recommend using EXTREME caution when using this product as they(zoomed) believe that there is NO way that their product can malfuntion and to put it simply...it is the snakes fault that she recieved these burns.They believe that a snake knows when to get off a heat source!!?!They do NOT care about your pets!!Any questions,feel free to e-mail me at sillyserpents@aol.com. Thanks for taking the time to read this.I dont want anyone to have to go through this horrible ordeal. Thanks again,Rene' V. Aumada 3rd

JasonBrennan
03-24-2003, 10:02 PM
Did you have this Zoomed heat mat on any type of control? A thermostat or a rheostat? Did you have a thermometer in the enclosure? Just asking.

E2MacPets
03-24-2003, 10:46 PM
Was the heatmat INSIDE the tank?

Silly Serpents
03-24-2003, 10:55 PM
Actually i was not using a rheostat or the like.The product nor those who i spoke to before using it mentioned the need for such a device.I use flexwatts almost entirly and do not use any kind of temp control device.I have never had any of my animals injured on the flexwatt.The only blame for the burns i will accept is that i used a zoomed heatmat.:( No the heater was under the tank as it describes for its installation.Thanks for your question though.

Snake_Woman_24
03-25-2003, 12:05 AM
i am sorry to here about what happend to your baby i would also be upset i consieder my pets as my children and i HATE to here that some pepole are so unconsiderabel about snakes if it was a dog or cat exc.. they would be sempethetic and taken care of it right away i know this becouse of some past exp... and it is rediclas thes pepole need to see and understand that a snake needs just as much care and consideration as other animales what exactley was said when you talked to thes pepole(i assume you did) and do they have an email add. if so can i please have it??keep us updated on your baby. And i am sorry bout the spelling i never was good at that lol

THANKS, destiny woolman

JasonBrennan
03-25-2003, 12:47 AM
The only blame for the burns i will accept is that i used a zoomed heatmat.
I use flexwatts almost entirly and do not use any kind of temp control device.

Well, I hate to say it, but a thermostat or rheostat is a very necessary piece of equipment for keeping reptiles with these type of heat sources. How do you know what temps your animals are being kept at? Why would you not want to use one of these devices? With a thermostat, the heat pad would have been shut off when the temps got too hot for your snake!!! I don't know if the heat mat over heated or not (I have never used that brand), but I am afraid that the heat pad is not really to blame for the burns on the snake. Please look at this as a learning experience and take the proper precautions to ensure that this does not happen agian. You need a thermostat when using any heating elements. I am sorry about your snake, and I hope he gets better with the help of the vet.

Clay Davenport
03-25-2003, 01:11 AM
Jason is right, if you depend only on the quality of the heater to protect your snakes for you then you are just waiting on an accident.
While the heat pad probably malfunctioned and got super hot, had it been on a thermostat, this burn would not have occured.
A dimmer can be had for a few dollars, and a nice little on/off thermostat for less than 25.
Any manufactured product will suffer from occasional defects, that's simply a fact of life, but it is up to you to take the proper precautions to protect yourself from potential hazards.

If you think everything is just fine running flexwatt and such with no temp control at all take a look at this picture.

http://www.arbreptiles.com/cages/flexburn.jpg

When I when I discovered and unplugged that heater I used a Raytec temp gun to take a reading on it. It was 192°F.
If you want to read the rest of the story about that instance it is on this page (http://www.arbreptiles.com/cages/flexburn.html) .

meretseger
04-01-2003, 09:47 AM
Where are you getting those dimmers? I've searched up and down hardware stores looking for one that plugs into a socket and have had no luck. All they have are the ones made to wire into an outlet. If you could even point out a webpage for me, that would be great.

Erin B.

Clay Davenport
04-01-2003, 10:06 AM
I've never used one of the plug in types. I know the Bean Farm sells one, but it's 300watt and may not work properly with very low wattage heaters.

There is another option. They make a slide type dimmer that simply snaps onto the electrical cord. They are designed for use with lamps.
The switch comes apart and you place the two halves around the wire. When you snap it back together and tighten the screws, the dimmer pierces the wire to break the connection. The power then flows through the contacts of the dimmer and the slide controls the flow.
Lowe's sells these dimmers, but they run about $20, as opposed to 5 or 6 for the ones that wire inline.

Personally I prefer the type you wire into the wall and just splice it in the heater wire, but it depends alot on the setup and type of cage being used.

meretseger
04-03-2003, 08:35 AM
My setup right now isn't permanent enough for something that goes into the wall. I'll look for those lamp dimmers, though, thanks!

Erin B.

Seamus Haley
04-03-2003, 03:57 PM
My setup right now isn't permanent enough for something that goes into the wall.

They don't actually have to go into the wall, they can be mounted on just about any flat surface... such as the side of a rack system or even just a block of wood with a hollow behind it halfway down the cord to the heating element.

One thing that should be mentioned, even though it's just common sense... A dimmer switch wouldn't function in the same manner as a rheostat or thermostat... it would simply control the amount of electricity getting to the heating element and thus the temperature, it won't shut off once a certain temperature has been reached. It's still important to monitor the temps at least twice a day when using a dimmer switch, just as you would when using no form of temperature control at all... it simply makes it a lot easier to adjust the enclosure temps based on ambient temps, day/night cycles or when starting to cycle into or out of brumation.

Missymonkey
04-03-2003, 04:36 PM
Holy Cow! I am so sorry to hear about your snake, that must be painful for the both of you. I am so glad that this did not end with a dead snake. I wish you good luck in the healing process and will keep a warm thought for both of you.

Clay Davenport
04-03-2003, 04:40 PM
I don't think anyone actually mounts them in teh wall for heating snake cages. The only thing to consider is to shield the wires so that they are not accidentally touched.
If you're using a wooden cage then mounting the dimmer in a wire mold box directly to the cage looks good and is very functional.

Also, a rheostat is basically a fancy dimmer. They do not maintain a set temperature like a thermostat, they only regulate the amount of power going to the heater. Regular checking of temperatures is still needed.
On the plus side, this does give reason to look in on every cage on a daily basis.

I have even stopped using thermometers in my cages. Instead I use a raytec temp gun. This way the cages are opened every day and a quick visual check is made while I check the temp.
It's easy to not bother looking in on a snake for several days at a time considering they need so little attention compared to other animals.

Merlin0511
04-24-2003, 01:31 AM
arnt you suppose to keep them under the tank and not in it?!?!?!?!

Silly Serpents
04-24-2003, 09:29 PM
Dude.I never said it was IN the tank.It was outside the tank.But that brand of heatmat has been known to crack glass from getting too hot!!Not sure were you thought i said it was in the tank but that was a misunderstanding.I never use heat sourses that go in the tank.Heat rocks included. Sonny Aumada

Greg Riso
04-25-2003, 04:42 PM
Hi Sonny and Glenda. I'm sorry to read about your poor retic. Judging by the size I know it's not one of the pair you got from me as they must be monsters by now lol. As Clay said an accident like that can come from ANY heat source. I had a length of heat tape longer than the one Clay showed underneath a 4' Neodesha cage. I noticed the animal would always avoid the area where it was located staying around the perimeter of the cage. One day when I went to move the cage I finally realized why. The linoleum directly under the heat tape had melted and turned brown from the heat! After that I went out and bought one of those oil filled heaters and just recently connected it to a Helix 1500 watt controller. I can control the entire room at a constant daytime and nighttime setting of my choice and not worry about each individual tank. Even then I check each animal with a raytek gun daily as a fail safe measure just to be sure. I have the humidity for the entire room controlled also. It costs a lot more to do this but there's no way any tank will get overheated to the point an animal can get a contact burn or be stressed. Good luck with your retic and all your other animals as well.

Slither
04-30-2003, 04:32 AM
Sorry that you don't agree, but there is only one conclusion in my mind. It was your fault. Controlling the heating device of a reptile's enclosure is part of basic husbandry and a very vital one at that. I personally don't understand how someone can own a $1500-$2000 snake and not spend $25 on a thermostat or even less on a rheostat. No one to blame but yourself. Learn from it, better yourself, and move on.

mykee
05-02-2003, 02:38 AM
I'm going to have to agree that this is solely your own fault. Th emanufacturer is not at fault in this particular situation, however, I have read MANY situations where they were at fault. Basic husbandry states you moderate the temp of your heat source REGARDLESS of what it is. I have 4 racks w/ ball pythons, running 14' of 4" heat tape and I have each rack on thier own Helix. This may be overkill, but I've never had a snake roast as a result. Sorry, your fault.

Silly Serpents
05-02-2003, 08:37 PM
I would have to say that trying to put the entire blame on me is pretty ignorant.Just because you use a helix does not mean nothing will happen to you!!Accidents happen,products malfunction and lastly,even the products intended to prevent other products from malfuntioning have the ability to malfunction.For example:I have owned and bred snakes for roughly 18 years and this is the first problem i have ever had with a product.And i can honestly say that.Sure in my earlier years i have come across stomatitis and mites but who hasnt?Yeah i may have been asking for trouble by not taking those extra precautions but like i said,i have never had a problem.Eventually something negative will happen to you.Whether its to one of your herps due to a malfuntioning product or maybe your house might burn to the ground due to a malfunctioning thermostat or maybe a socket.Bad things happen and i love all my snakes to the utmost importance.So to hear some of you say that its all MY fault really tees me off.But hey,at least im adult enough to take your critisizms.No one can control every little thing in life as i have learned but but yes i have learned from my decisions.And to end this,i dont mean that i wish ANYTHING negative to happen to ANYONE or their PETS especially.I am just making a point.Also,attached is the latest pic of how she is doing. Thanks to all who have responded,Sonny Aumada/Silly Serpents

JasonBrennan
05-03-2003, 03:14 AM
The only blame for the burns i will accept is that i used a zoomed heatmat.

Statements like this are why you recieved some negative comments, I think. Don't take things so personal....yes, it was your fault for not using a regulator of some type. Don't take that to mean that everyone thinks that you don't give a damn about your animals. I could back my car out of the driveway and accidently run over one of my kids because I didn't look behind me (as in not taking the recommended precautions). Would not mean that I didn't love my kid, just means that I was not as careful as I should have been. That's all.

As long as something was learned from the incident and changes have been made, that is what counts. Of course, if you still refused to use a thermostat or similar device on your heating elements, well.........

By the way, I am glad to see that the snake is doing better!!!!!! Good job on the after care!

mykee
05-03-2003, 01:06 PM
Sonny, I apologize for leading you to believe that I, or others were "ganging" up on you. You mentioned in your response that it could happen to anyone; you said a faulty socket or your house burning down could happen to you. Yes, that is true, however, those are mitigating circumstances BEYOND your control; providing a rheostat or a proportional thermostat for your snake is not beyond your control, that is something that you can, and SHOULD control. It is unfortunate that your snake is in distress and had to have surgery, and I truly am sorry for that. Things happen, and I'm sure that after 18 years something will happen to one of my balls, but rest assured, it will be from manufacturer default and not personal neglect.

BrianB
06-19-2003, 04:20 AM
First, I'm very sorry to hear about the retic. It looks from the second pic that it's doing somewhat better, and I'm glad for that.

Second, although I don't want to get into the blame game here, this incident should serve as a reminder to everyone to break in a new setup for a day or two to make sure temps and everything are alright before introducing the animal. Some have made the point to use a controller of some sort, which is true, but the more important point is to test the entire setup. Some heat controllers including rheostats and some on/off thermostats do not work on some lower wattage heat sources. As a matter of fact, I used two of ZooMed's own brand of (shoddily made, overpriced) rheostats on two different UTHs of theirs, and neither one functioned with their own UTH. (Tested both rheostats on each UTH.)

Third: ZooMed UTHs suck. Period. They get well over 120 to 130 very quickly, and are not suitable for reptiles. You're better off with plain old human heat pads, which rarely get near 100 on the lowest setting, or with T-Rex cobra mats or properly installed heat tape.

Again, I hope the snake continues to recover.

dself40
06-19-2003, 08:32 AM
Where do you get them at?I have looked and looked and all they sell around here are the ones that shut themselfs off after I think 4 hours?I have looked at walmart,kmart,dollar stores.And have found the same thing they shut down after so many hours?

Thanks For your time,

BrianB
06-19-2003, 08:44 PM
Mostly Wal-Mart or Target. Mine run 24/7. They're the Sunbeam brand.

Audrina Head
06-19-2003, 10:23 PM
Walgreens also sells human heat pads that don't shut off. I agree that the Zoo med heat pads get too hot. I have measured mine at 130+.

Adam Block
07-27-2003, 04:54 AM
I would always use some type of on/off temp control device. Regardless the cost of the snake no animal should suffer or end up burned. There is very little I trust when it comes to my snakes and while I don't have many now I have started needing to use heat.

I use two Ranco's (I think there is info on buying them at a low cost on my site) that can be had for as little as $45 each if you're a student, or so I've heard.

Anyway, I use one in the tank that I like to keep at about 82 degrees so the mat is turned off when the tank reaches that temp and and I use one on the pad itself set at 95 degrees just in case the temps spike to 150 for 2 minutes and the tank hasen't heated up yet.

I've never been happy using dimmers and they seem like the fail rates are high enough on them that I'd stay away. However, they are MUCH better then nothing.

If nothing else I'm glad to see the snake is well.

Adam Block

bud mierkey
01-24-2004, 07:19 AM
I just heat the whole snake house to 80 degrees.
then use spot lights the reptile can go or returen to the warm area as needed.
I have a box of old heat devices and dont use them junk.

cyberfrog
02-15-2004, 04:48 PM
Bean Farm carries a few different dimmer switches that can be hard wired as a rheostat.
Adam Wolford

Originally posted by meretseger
Where are you getting those dimmers? I've searched up and down hardware stores looking for one that plugs into a socket and have had no luck. All they have are the ones made to wire into an outlet. If you could even point out a webpage for me, that would be great.

Erin B.

cyberfrog
02-15-2004, 05:03 PM
I would just like to tell everyone that I know Sonny personally, have seen his animals personally, and have discussed in depth with him all manner of reptile goings on. The one thing I Can say for sure are his animals are well fed, well cared for, and are gorgeous animals in person. If he says he has gone 18 years without a malfunction, I believe him. I personally have gone 5 years with no malfunction of a heat pad. I have had flexwatt malfunctions, 2 of them, and 2 of my friends had one malfunction each. All of it on the silver colored heat tape, the copper colored stuff is rock solid, at least for us. Bout all I have to say on it.
Adam Wolford

IanV
03-23-2004, 02:27 AM
Sorry to hear about your snake, but you could have put it on a rheostat at least. Those things get HOT!
Also, were you monitoring the temps on the floor at all?

IAN

NEWReptiles
03-23-2004, 03:20 AM
I am on my 5th or 6th year with the zoo med UTH.
At this point in time I have 36 of them being used.

I would never use any UTH without at least a dimmer. Of the 36 I use, 6 are controlled by a dimmer, and the other 30 are controlled by 6 thermostats.

The reason I still use these overpriced heat mats is because I have yet to have one problem.

jddkreptiles
09-19-2004, 04:59 PM
did you glue the heat pad to the bottom of the tank? if so its your fault.