PDA

View Full Version : i have a question for any fellow herper

adamT
03-25-2002, 10:37 PM
is it legal to sell cane toads?

Mike and Erica @ MotherGecko
03-26-2002, 12:12 AM
Adam,  I happen to keep Bufo marinus which are a nice large toad, but you are obviously refering to Bufo alvarius and are probably concerned with the fact its venom has psychoactive properties if smoked or injested and the legal aspects of that.  Here is a link to a great site on the chemical break downs and some legal aspects as well.  On a personal note becareful if you plan to "do some toad" i've heard it can really freak some people out!   Take it easy                                                                                       http://www.erowid.org/animals/toads/toads/shtml

LICK WITH CAUTION!!!!

sschind
03-26-2002, 10:00 PM
Mother Gecko

Just curious as to why you think it is obvious he is refering to alvarius.  I have never heard of alvarius refered to as "cane" toads, only marinus.  while it makes sense to question the legality of alvarius from a controled substance point of view, there are places that have banned the sale of marinus from an environmental impact point of view.

unless I missed something

Steve Schindler

Mike and Erica @ MotherGecko
03-27-2002, 08:43 AM
Steve,  I thought he was asking about B. alvarius because of the legal aspects, and I wasn' aware of any with B. marinus(enviromentally, here in Fl. they run wild)  I was concerned that if he was planning to use the toads in an illegal manner that he could at least look at the site I provided before making any hasty decisions.  I havent read any thing about the legal aspect of B. marinus but could understand the potential environmental problems as they can eat about anything and are quite prolific.  Thanks for the heads up Steve....Mike