PDA

View Full Version : Positive response from Texas Senator!

TattooLost
12-19-2009, 03:34 PM
Got an answer to my email to my Senator. Hopefully there's plenty of other people in office that feel the same way.

Dear Mr. Morro:

Thank you for contacting me regarding legislation to regulate the importation of certain exotic or non-native animal species. I appreciate having the benefit of your views on this matter.

As you know, several measures that would regulate the importation of exotic wildlife are currently under consideration. The Nonnative Wildlife Invasion Prevention Act (H.R. 669) would direct the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service to evaluate the risk of a nonnative species before approving it for importation—a measure aimed at curtailing the invasion of local ecosystems by foreign species with no natural predators. Similarly, Senate Bill 373 (S. 373) would designate python snakes as an “injurious species” under the United States Code, thereby banning the species from being shipped or imported into the U.S.

I understand the importance of protecting our environment and population against the incursion of invasive species; however, I am concerned that these measures may not provide the flexibility required for Texas’ legitimate wild and exotic animal enterprises such as the pet industry, zoos, game ranches, and wildlife conservation activities. Historically, state laws and local ordinances have been established to regulate pet and wildlife ownership, and I believe that governance over this matter should be reserved for state and local entities.

I appreciate having the opportunity to represent the interests of Texans in the United States Senate, and you may be certain that I will keep your thoughts in mind should the Senate consider these or other relevant pieces of legislation during the 111th Congress. Thank you for taking the time to contact me.

Sincerely,

JOHN CORNYN
United States Senator

517 Hart Senate Office Building
Washington, DC 20510
Tel: (202) 224-2934
Fax: (202) 228-2856
http://www.cornyn.senate.gov

dustinntech
12-19-2009, 06:15 PM
Good to hear :)

Twizted Paths
12-19-2009, 09:29 PM
I forgive Texas with it's over grown Border Patrol Officers and their huge dogs for the time I got stranded there and they threatened to deport me :thumbsup: