PDA

View Full Version : First serpent eggs of the season (JCP)

Clay Davenport
04-08-2003, 03:02 AM
I was pleased to find this girl wrapped around 10 nice eggs a few days ago. I let her keep them a couple days so we could watch her "twitching" to hold the temps.
She was nice about me taking them away though which was a pleasant surprise. I'm not fond of getting hit by these guys.

Dan's_herps
11-06-2003, 10:40 PM
i can see why you hate getting bitten, mine is 5 months and 1 week and i just got bitten, scared the poop outtta me but i only had two red blood dots on my thumb, she a nice snake, when it comes time for my breeding should i leave her to incubate or should i take over?
thanks
Dan

Clay Davenport
11-07-2003, 01:46 AM
A 5 month old isn't too bad, but a 5-6 footer I prefer to avoid being bitten by if possible. I don't normally encourage any snake to bite me though :)
I personally never leave the mother to incubate the eggs. It's just much easier and more reliable for me to incubate them artificially.
A few people use maternal incubation with some pythons, but generally it's more difficult to maintain proper humidity in the cage to keep the eggs from dessicating. It can be done, but I prefer using an incubator since it requires much less attention, and leaves less room for error.

Dan's_herps
12-05-2003, 10:33 PM
yeah, i know a babys not bad, the way i found out?, my teachers 6 foot boa tagged me on the head, i must have been like a big chew toy, she shur acted like i was:)
i will take the eggs of her (when the time comes, nice snake you have there)
adios
Dan

cassys
06-08-2004, 10:59 AM
I need to buy a male Jungle Carpet Python. do you have any?

Thanks,
Cassandra

Lynn
06-08-2004, 11:15 AM
Clay
Congrats on the eggs. That is a mighty fine JCP you have there. It is fun to pull out a tub and find eggs...

Clay Davenport
06-08-2004, 01:10 PM
Actually this post is over a year old and that is a picture of last year's clutch.
This year's batch have already hatched as well, they are about two weeks old now, so I do in fact have some. They will not be ready for sale however until they have had a few meals.

Clay Davenport
06-08-2004, 01:13 PM
Here is a picture of this year's clutch of eggs just after they were laid.

cassys
06-08-2004, 01:18 PM
I am still interested let me know when one is ready to go.

Thanks,
Cassandra

Clay Davenport
06-09-2004, 04:51 AM
Originally posted by cassys
I am still interested let me know when one is ready to go.

Thanks,
Cassandra

I will be glad to. It may be a month or more though. Some of the hatchlings have started eating, but I like to have several meals in them before letting them go just so I know they will do well.

cassys
08-02-2004, 05:06 PM
What age is sexual maturity for a male JCP? If I were to breed it at age 12 months what would happen to the male if it was too young?

Thanks,
Cassandra

Clay Davenport
08-02-2004, 05:12 PM
Chances are nothing would happen at all, the male simply would not breed. It takes two years normally for a male to reach sexual maturity, sometimes longer for females.
The pair which produced these eggs were 5 years old before I bred them.

I had forgotten about this thread, and that I said I would let you know about the babies. They're all eating well and most have had 9 meals now. I do have a waiting list though, so I don't know if I'll have enough males to go around.

cassys
08-02-2004, 05:14 PM
Oh! Don't worry about the neonates. Anyway, so he just won't wan to breed at all. Is it safe for a female to mate at age 4 to 5 years old?

Cass

Clay Davenport
08-02-2004, 05:31 PM
At 12 months old, he won't show any interest in breeding. Fed heavily, he might be breedable at 18 months, but two years is more realistic.
A female fed well is usually ready to go at three years old. A 4 or 5 year old is a great breeding age, and she should be more than ready to reproduce.

cassys
08-02-2004, 05:36 PM
Why would heavily feeing adjust the sexual maturity age?

Clay Davenport
08-02-2004, 05:44 PM
Sexual maturity is a function of size as well as age.
A very young snake won't be mature regardless of size, but at the same time an underfed 3 year old may not be capable of reproducing either. Both factors play a part.

If normal feeding can reach maturity in 24 months, feeding somewhat heavier may do the same in 18 months. There's a limit though, and feeding too heavily can endanger the snake. Fatty liver disease is a concern as is overall shortened lifespan.
Saving a year by power feeding is no excuse to risk long term harm to the snake.
In the big picture, a jungle carpet may breed successfully for many years, so waiting one more season should not be a concern.

cassys
08-02-2004, 05:47 PM
ok, i see. i guess i will wait then. Do you know anything about Tiger Carpet Python?

Thanks,
Cassandra

Clay Davenport
08-03-2004, 12:38 AM
What I know of as a tiger carpet is a morph of the coastal carpet python (M. s. mcdowelli) that was first produced in the mid 90s sometime. I remember seeing them first in Vivarium magazine, 96 or 97 I think.
They are still apparently a rarely seen morph, since I haven't even heard the name in a long time.
They resemble the tiger reticulated python in appearance being a sort of "tri-stripe" pattern. I don't really know the genetics involved with them, whether it is a recessive or dominant trait.

They are a pretty snake, but I personally prefer the jaguar carpets myself, which are another morph of the coastal.
Coastals are larger than jungles and normally not nearly as pretty, but these two morphs are very nice looking in their own right.

cassys
08-03-2004, 10:24 AM
I like the jaguars too. I am actually buying a regular jaguar carpet from Will Leary next spring. It is odd that both of these morphs originate form the coastal. I can see the resemblance in the jaguars with the coastal but tiger is quite amazing. I mean the srtipes on it do resemble the coastals one stripe along the sides, but the tiger is completely different in coloration. I am actually feeding my coastal and jungle this evening. I know they are hungry. Do you know anything abotu breeidng rats? Talk to you soon.

Cassandra

MGReptiles
10-21-2004, 04:03 AM
This is kind of an old post but here is one of Clays JCP's.. I bought 3 of them fromhim are they are awsome...I was very pleased with there temperments except for one..lol..little nippy but calming down...

MGReptiles
10-21-2004, 04:05 AM
And another...I beleive this is one of the females...They are going to have some nice colors from the looks of it...

cassys
10-21-2004, 09:29 AM
It is beautiful. Was it easy to breed them? Or do you breed them?

Cass

MGReptiles
10-21-2004, 01:49 PM
Nope, the eggs you see in Clays pic are these babies...

cassys
10-21-2004, 07:07 PM
I see thanks! Any of oyu be interested in a cross breed of Jungle Carpet Python to a Coastal Carpet? I would be selling them very cheap since they are not pure. Eventually I will be breeding my Green Tree to the jungle or coastal carpet depending on the sex of the GTP. When I do that if the eggs are fertile I will sell them much less than want otehr breeders are pricing them at. I can post pics if you like.

Sand&SunReptile
10-24-2004, 11:26 PM
Im waiting for you to breed me some Coastals!
I love the girl you have, and would gladly buy a pair of pure coastals should you breed them.

cassys
10-25-2004, 06:38 PM
Well, I will keep that in thought. I was thinking of buying another jungle female and a male coastal so we can breed pure coastals and pure jungles. Would you be interested in a jungle/green tree though. They are quite extraordinary and we will lower the price a lot compared to the market price of $2400 for a carpondro neonate. I am into breeding this type of snake mostly for people who enjoy and love the beauty of snakes and cannot afford to buy one and also for I am in school to be a vet tech and breeding snakes will be a hobby in the future years for my husband and I. I will sell a Carpondro most liekly in the few hundreds instead of thousands. This Green Tree is almost a year so probably next fall I will try to breed the green tree to the jungle.

Thanks,
Cass

Mark and Aimee
10-26-2004, 12:45 PM
This Green Tree is almost a year so probably next fall I will try to breed the green tree to the jungle.

I'm sure you realize this snakes aren't going to just jump on each other...

cassys
10-26-2004, 01:25 PM
Well, there have been several successful copulations observed with jungleXchondros on a few websites. The unsuccessful part is fertile eggs. Here is a link to a successful copulation with a Green Tree Python and a Jungle Carpet Python. If you have any other questions feel free to ask me. I feel that mine will do successfully next year.

http://www.pythonpete.com/Chongle/Chongle.htm

Mark and Aimee
10-26-2004, 03:30 PM
You missed my point. You can't just throw them together and expect them to make babies. You'll have a much better chance of reaching your goal if you have several animals of each sex, of each species.

There's a reason they are so expensive!

Sand&SunReptile
10-26-2004, 03:44 PM
There aren't many snakes that will just breed.
Making hybrids of most species takes a lot more effort than any normal breedings.
It depends on the particular specimens. Some will interbreed more readily. But, the chances are they wont just court, and copulate. You'll need to "prep" the animals by letting 2 of the same species court, but not actually copulate. Then you switch the females.
That isnt the best method, and I dont really consider that fair to the animals, but it would work with better success then just slapping them together.
If you do happen to get some fertile eggs, and the price isnt too bad I would consider buying.
For sure pure Coastal(s).

MGReptiles
10-26-2004, 04:24 PM
I would also be interested in some pure costals.

Sand&SunReptile
10-26-2004, 08:58 PM
Heh. You get picks after me. I totally have my name on the list first...

MGReptiles
10-26-2004, 11:12 PM
Hey now, lol...I needem too...

Sand&SunReptile
10-26-2004, 11:33 PM
Heh. I just need 1 or 2 females.
Ill give you 2nd pick. Well, Cassy gets to decide.
PICK ME PICK ME!

MGReptiles
10-26-2004, 11:39 PM
I just found 2.2, only thing I have to do now is check out the breeder. Ill still need 2 more females..Oh and Mike email sent

Sand&SunReptile
10-27-2004, 12:18 AM
Awesome. Cant wait for my supplies to get here!

MGReptiles
10-27-2004, 12:24 AM
What supplies? I sent you a JCP, thought thats what you wanted..lol...

Sand&SunReptile
10-27-2004, 08:12 AM
heh, I wouldnt mind either way.
A nice JCP, for half the price you paid, shipped and Ill be happy. But if you did, which I highly doubt knowing the joker clown you are, you should warn me.
I have an open tub anyways, so I wont mind.

MGReptiles
10-27-2004, 08:27 AM
Shurly not..lol...

cassys
10-27-2004, 01:54 PM
Well, of course I will buy more species of Jungle carpet Pythons and Green Trees in the future, but tell me more about this "prepping of the male and female for court."

Cass

cassys
10-27-2004, 01:59 PM
Well, I have a potential male coastal for sale that I might buy and breed hopefully soon. I have to convince my boyfriend to let me collect another snake to our house full of animals. If that happens I should breed my female Medusa (Coastal) to this coastal male. Anyway, whoever gives me the first deposit can get the best pcik of coastal. I won't be selling them for outrageous prices eitehr so ya'll should be happy. I will probably sign up an account with DHL for shipping but it won't be that much to ship such a young snake.

Thanks,
Cassandra

MGReptiles
10-27-2004, 03:38 PM
Hey I have a guy that is selling some costals. They are pure blood from VPI..Email me if ya want his info..And hey mike you better sign up for a paypal account...lol..

Sand&SunReptile
10-27-2004, 03:51 PM
Im not a big fan of putting down a deposit for animals that arent even 100%sure on breeding yet. I'll defenitely send you a deposit once you have fertile eggs though.

cassys
10-28-2004, 06:35 PM
ok thanks! What is your e-mail, justcage? Why do you perticularly like the coastal carpets?

Cassandra

MGReptiles
10-29-2004, 12:29 AM
justcage@yahoo.com I like all carpets...just think they have a personality to them. But I am sure it is a curisoty of weather your going to feed them or not..lol

cassys
10-30-2004, 08:19 PM
what do you mean by curiosity of weather.......? Thanks for the help in buying a coastal. Would oyu be at all interested in a cross breed of carpet python?

Cassandra

MGReptiles
10-31-2004, 08:24 PM
All of my carpets will come out when I come in the room. Im saying there probaby thinking of eating. All of mine have an excellent feeding response...

Sand&SunReptile
10-31-2004, 09:18 PM
Heh, my lone carpet feeds like a maniac. Frozen thawed, no hesitation what so ever.

cassys
10-31-2004, 09:57 PM
I want to try to start feeding my female, the coastal, frozen/thawed rats too. I fed her live the last 5 years though. I wander if she will take a dead rat. Mortecai, the male, can do both ways just fine. I just took the Green Tree out. She is so fiesty. I cannot put her in the same room with my dogs around or she will sty in that "S" position for 30 minutes at least. Well, I guess I will speak to ya'll later. I appreciate your interest in my carpets.

Cass