PDA

View Full Version : Success! Cal king eggs have arrived...

Mark and Aimee
04-08-2003, 10:45 PM
A good week for us! This is our first batch of Cal King eggs. I know, not all that uncommon, but still a first for us! Here's the details:

1.1 desert phase Cal Kings - Male: 4 ft, Female: 5+ ft.

Cooled for one month - December

Mating occurred for about two weeks, end of february, beginning of march. Female was 600 grams+ at this point.

Eggs were laid on Apr 6th. - 8 eggs, 2" long, 1" wide. Eggs average about 20 grams each, and all are fertile. VERY large eggs!

The female weighed 200 grams less after laying her eggs. If she had not lost so much weight, I would have considered trying to double clutch her.

Oh, and the female is a proven breeder, age unknown, and previous number of clutches unknown.

We also have two aberrant black/yellow cal king females that were both bred to an albino banded male AND an albino striped male. Both females were seen breeding with both males at one time or another. Eggs can be seen on one female, and the other one is a little bit behind her. These two range in size from 4 ft to 5 ft. Expecting another 18 to 20 eggs from them (total).

Anyone else having good luck?

Mark

Petty2000
04-08-2003, 11:09 PM
As you asked if anybody else had a good week . My son and I just got in a couple of western hogs that we were told had been cooled and we thought it would take them a couple of weeks to get settled in . NO , they have been here for 8 days and we have seen breeding activity 7 of those 8 days . It,s a first time for us as well !!! Good luck Tim & Michael :D

Mark and Aimee
04-08-2003, 11:28 PM
Now that's a good deal! Congrats. Our season started out pretty crappy with one of our female corns laying 8 slugs, the last two were retained for a couple of days. I gotta chalk that one up to being my fault though - she was not cooled, and I didn't even realize she was gravid. Possibly because stupid me that it was a male??

LOL...

Mark